Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

fiber

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
  • 2 Replies

I know they say to add fiber slowly to your diet but how much do you start off with? I'm currently pregnant and need it desperately but I want to go slow cause I already have miserable gut syndrome. So how do I know what amount to start at?

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Miserable gut syndrome....as in leaky gut or irritable bowel?

"Experts" suggest 25 to as much as 45 grams of fiber daily.  It's best to get this fiber naturally from food and not supplements if you can.  If you currently have a poor diet low in veggies and fruits, I'd start with 15 to 20 g for a couple of days then aim for 20 to 25g for the next couple of days, then add in again.

I try to include veggies at every meal (breakfast veggie omelets or frittatas, big salads for lunch, veggies at dinner) along with at least one serving of whole fruit a day.

Avocados are high in fiber, with around 12 to 13g per fruit.  So, slice some avocado onto your salad....bake an egg in an avocado half...enjoy guacamole & chips. 

I bake with coconut flour, which has 3x the amount of fiber as whole wheat flour.  It doesn't work the same as grain flours, but there are plenty of online recipes that are specifically geared for coconut flour:  muffins, pancakes, quick breads, etc.  One or two coconut flour muffins a day along with my regular meals is usually plenty to keep me "going".

You also need to drink plenty of water to allow the fiber to work.

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I need to add more fiber

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)