Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

I need to gain weight...

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am 25 years old, always had a problem with my wait, I'm underweight and really have no clue how to gain weight, any thing will help

by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
clairewait
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM

How underweight are you?

I've always been fairly thin and in very good shape, but between the end of college and my first year of marriage, I actually lost 30 pounds and have never really regained it. I'm almost 5'9". In college I was about 155 and no one would have ever said I was overweight. But once I had a schedule and was eating and sleeping more regularly, it seems like my body just found it's "comfort" place right around 125 or 130. My entire family freaked out for a while, claiming I was too thin. I've now had three kids, and through all three pregnancies, I still have gone back to that 125/130 mark, so I kind of figure that's just what I'm supposed to be and I try not to worry about it.

icefairie8312
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I weight 98 lbs, I have one child and I weighed 98 when I got pregnant (3 years ago) my ob never said anything about me being underweight and I talked to her about it but she said I'd gain some weight bein pregnant. And I'm ttc again but I think I'm having problems because of my weight. I've always been this little my whole life. I wanna gain weight for myself mostly, I think it would help with a lot of my health...

Quoting clairewait:

How underweight are you?

I've always been fairly thin and in very good shape, but between the end of college and my first year of marriage, I actually lost 30 pounds and have never really regained it. I'm almost 5'9". In college I was about 155 and no one would have ever said I was overweight. But once I had a schedule and was eating and sleeping more regularly, it seems like my body just found it's "comfort" place right around 125 or 130. My entire family freaked out for a while, claiming I was too thin. I've now had three kids, and through all three pregnancies, I still have gone back to that 125/130 mark, so I kind of figure that's just what I'm supposed to be and I try not to worry about it.

clairewait
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM

98 pounds and how tall?

icefairie8312
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM

5'3, and I eat, I love food. Im just not eating the right foods I guess

Quoting clairewait:

98 pounds and how tall?

Rota
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 2:00 PM

As a wellness nurse, my big question is this: what are your health issues? What correlation do you see between your weight and your health?

Because we are surrounded by overweight people, many of us have come to "see" those around us as "normal" so when we see someone who is "thin" or even of normal weight, we suspect that they are underweight. People who are thin tend to live longer. So be thankful for that.

You say you may not be eating the right foods so what do you eat?

If you do not want to discuss your health issues in this public forum, you may email me at foundationsfor health@yahoo.com

preacherskid
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

May I ask why you want to gain weight?  I ask because I am 95 pounds, 5'4" tall, and spent most of my high school and college years and up until after I had my first dd trying everything I could to gain weight.  At the peak of my efforts in college I was keeping a food journal and tracking every last bite of food.  If I had a snack, it went in the journal, down to how much of whatever it was I ate.  I was going through almost a gallon of milk every week to two weeks by myself.  I was on my way to a severe obsession with food.  I was displeased with my body, and at my lowest point I hated to look in the mirror, hated going clothes shopping, hated anything that reminded me how thin I was.  My mom was thin, gained fifteen pounds after four kids in six years, my grandmother didn't seriously gain weight until after six kids...you get the idea.  I still grew up with a mother who constantly worried I wasn't eating enough, was regularly telling me I needed to eat more.  My family told me, directly or indirectly, that I needed to put more meat on my bones.  I was alternately told at school that I was too skinny and therefore unattractive, or that my body shape was to be envied and I was the luckiest girl in school.  At some point after college I decided it wasn't worth it.  I focused more on eating healthier and worried less about whether it would help me gain weight.  I hit a rough patch about ten months after my ODD was born, I dropped to 85 pounds and had one family member tell me I looked great (he is a fitness nut and his own daughter is a recovered anorexic-not a coincidence btw), and a large number blame breastfeeding for my sudden weight loss.  I had blood tests done, nothing out of the ordinary, and I didn't have that dramatic weightloss after our second baby.  I do eat a slightly different diet than is generally recommended-it is a holdover from my more athletic days and while it does not cause me to gain weight, it makes me feel healthiest.  I eat more protein and carbs, maybe a half serving more of each, on average.  Fruit and veg servings are as recommended, fluids at thirst.  I haven't counted calories in years, it is too close to the obsessive behavior I experienced during college.  I will be honest, I still have days that I hate that I am thin.  But for me, part of letting go of the struggle to gain weight and look "normal" was accepting the body I have, and committing to keeping it healthy, not the norm.  I don't know if that is why you feel the need to gain weight, but I have noticed that those of us skinny people who want to gain weight are either doing it for serious health concerns, or because we want to be "normal" weight-I was the latter, and have finally moved past the need to be "normal" weight.

Vinterland
by Member on Nov. 16, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I was 98 lbs for a while before I had my son, now I'm 107 and I never go passed that. Some people are just naturally thin, most of my family is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN