Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy Moms Healthy Moms

Alternative to Juice Boxes?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM
  • 10 Replies

My DD will be starting Kindergarten in September, and will be going all day, so we will be packing a lunch for her (the school lunches are just a bunch of junk food).  She has to be on a low fructose diet, so juice boxes, even organic ones are not an option.  I know we can always give her water, but after a while I know she would get bored with that.  Milk is also not an option as she is lactose intolerant and does not like soy or almond milk.

Do you know of another good option we could give her to mix it up? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norma_jay
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:59 AM
I give my son juicy juice. Also he likes coconut water as well and green tea. He's five, he sees what mama drinks and wants to try it.
michiganmom116
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:57 AM

coconut water, coconut milk blended w/a little cocoa & sugar, tea, veggie juice

Vertical15
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM

We just do small water bottles.  Recently though we tried Honest Tea for kids.  My kids really liked it and we aren't big juice drinkers.  They are smaller bottles, too.

suetoo
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Let her mush her a small amt of real fruit with a spoon and add to iced water so she has a variety of flavored waters, like lemon, lime, rasberr or blue berry, or just float the whole berry in her water container.

scapermom
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 1:22 PM

What do you give her to drink now? Get a good stainless steel bottle for her to bring that in to school.

Rice Dreams has little boxes of rice milk, plain & vanilla flavored (lactose free). My DD liked them when she was younger. There are kefir drinks that are lactose free, some are fruit flavored but some aren't. As others have mentioned you can get iced tea in those little boxes.  If sugar is an issue, maybe something like a V-8? I would give her water though, and not worry about her getting bored of it just yet.

Alyson121
by Alyson on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Unsweetened flavored water, unsweetened flavored sparkling water.  Can she have probiotic drinks? Good Belly has mini ones (they do have sugar though). Extra produce that have water can be added (grapes, melons, berries, pears, apples, etc)

clairewait
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

We just do water in a water bottle. This is all my kids drink at home anyway. We're not juice drinkers and we're no longer milk drinkers.

Juice and lemonade are treats.

tmtt27
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:48 AM
You can put doterra essential oils in her water. We use the orange, grapefruit and lemon.

http://mydoterra.com/tammytaylor

dmom27
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:19 PM
I love agua fresca. Blend up some fruit in the blender, add a squeeze of lime or lemon, and a little sweetener. (Agave or honey, you can add it to a little hot water to dissolve it.). Then you just dilute it with water and strain it into a pitcher. Send it to school in a reusable water bottle. Melon is the most common, honeydew, cantaloupe, and watermelon. You could also do berries.
Vinterland
by Member on Nov. 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

What about adding fruit to the water to flavor it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN