Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sunday Supper

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 235 Total Views

Sunday Supper

OK so we took the boat out yesterday and stopped to buy from live lobsters while we were there. Today we're having them for supper and I am making this dish that I posted last week. I am going to re post it and try to force each of you to make it because it is really good.

For the lobster - I usually buy a couple of 3 pounders or if I am on the Cape I but them even larger. I was making this dish on vacation and asked the lobsterman for a bunch of 1.5lb live lobsters and then for some bodies and/or shells for stock. He asked what I was making and gives me this big lecture on lobsters. I had always believed that they would be tough if they were over 2lbs. He taught me that there is no difference in texture below TEN pounds. Now he also explained that people who are going to steam or boil them whole and are not particularly good at it will tend to overcook a big lobsters so that is one reason people tend to stay away from the monsters. He sold me an 8 pounder and it was phenomenal except that it is seriously difficult to hack them up when they are that big!

Anyway you need to halve your lobsters then separate the tail and claws from the bodies. Crack the claws and halve the tails laterally and set those aside. Collect the tomalley and roe and set that aside as well. Then hack up the bodies and cut up the legs (scissors are the easiest way) and toss them into a stock pot. Actually get your husband to do all of that and while he is doing it you do the next step.

Next step: prepare your veg. Today I used carrot, fennel, celery, and garlic because I forgot to buy and onion. Dice them nicely for the finished dish and throw all of the scraps into the stock pot. I put and extra chopped up carrot into the stock pot as well. Also cut a lemon and a big orange into small pieces and put them in the stock pot too. Zest them first and reserve the zest for later. Also  prep your herbs now and put the stems into the stock - today I used parsley, tarragon, rosemary, bronze fennel, chives and basil. I would not have chosen to use all of those but that is what my son picked from the herb garden.  Add cheap white wine and water to the stock and put a high flame under it. When it begins to boil take off the lid to encourage it to reduce as you go along. If you do the stock the day ahead you can take the time to reduce it after you strain it but I usually do it all at once. 

Once you've done all of that, sautee you veg in olive oil and be sure to season it with salt and pepper. You can do this step while the stock is cooking just turn it off and let it sit once the vegetables are tender. 

Give your stock a good hour then strain it and put it back over high heat to reduce. Put your pot with the sauteed vegetables back over heat and once the pan is up to temp add your lobster pieces along with one can of San Marzano tomatoes and a huge pinch of saffron. Season it at this point and keep the heat fairly low. After a few minutes add a couple of heaping ladles full of stock and put a lid on it. Give it at least 30 minutes to cook and marry and then add the zest, the tomalley, the fresh herbs and a little bit of white truffle oil.

I serve this over pasta with good bread. Also I like to cook the tomato, stock and lobster longer than 30 minutes and usually do but you have to watch it so that you are not overcooking the lobster. If the lobster is done and you know that the sauce needs more time you can remove the lobster and let the sauce continue to cook. Just return it at the end so that it can come up to heat. 

You have to make this - it rocks!

xoxoxox

Suzy

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SlapMeHappy27
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM

That sounds yummy. I have not a chance in hell of getting good lobster where I live. Desert. I will just live vicariously through your posting!

Suzy_Sunshine
by Group Owner on Jun. 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Oh yes you do! - I love The Fresh Lobster Company, they will overnight you a lobster the day that it comes out of the water  and they have the large ones if you want to try that. I usually have them send us one for Christmas Eve. 

Quoting SlapMeHappy27:

That sounds yummy. I have not a chance in hell of getting good lobster where I live. Desert. I will just live vicariously through your posting!

SlapMeHappy27
by on Jun. 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Quoting Suzy_Sunshine:

Oh yes you do! - I love The Fresh Lobster Company, they will overnight you a lobster the day that it comes out of the water  and they have the large ones if you want to try that. I usually have them send us one for Christmas Eve. 

Quoting SlapMeHappy27:

That is awesome! I will look them up! Thanks. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)