Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Now both my children have diabetes.....

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 378 Total Views

I'm so freaking upset and stressed....Our son was diagnosed at the age of 4, and now he's 7, our daughter turned 4 in may, within one week of getting her 4 yr shots (the same time frame as our son) I started noticing symptoms in her!!!!  Is this just couincidence, or was it brought on from the shots?  I'm affraid that my husband or myself carry the gene, and have passed it on to both our children, is this our fauglt...just so confused.  Sorry to vent :o(  I'm just in need of some support, besides from my husband, he took it really hard when our son was diagnosed, but this time it's me taking it hard....

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lgilmore
by Group owner on Aug. 10, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Its no ones fault  that both of your kids have diabetes. Diabetes doesn't have to run in the family for them to get it. The shots didn't cause her to get diabetes either. She had the cells that had the diabetes in it. It just so happend that it surfaced after she got her shots. When i was told that Ryan had diabetes i literlary broke down. They had to remove me from the doctor's office. Ryan was air lifted to Arkansas Children's Hospital from our local Hospital. Ryan has had diabetes now for 2 months and i still haven't coped with it yet. It'll get better with time. Remember its no body's fault that our kids or anyone has diabetes.  Here is a good site that has helped me alot. childrenwithdiabetes.com. its an awesome site.

pspe4williams
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Thanks for listening to me be upset :o)  I'm sorry to have vented like that. You'd think I would be ok sense we have been dealing with this for 3 1/2 yrs now with our son, but it was like it hit me all over again, the only good thing is that I already know what to do for her, and how to take care of her.  Today was the first day of school for them, Pauls teacher seemed a bit nervous, but the nurse is used to everything, and Eva's teacher is a bit nervous too, but she's only in preK so she's only their 1/2 a day.   

lgilmore
by Group owner on Aug. 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Its ok. thats what we are here for. to support each other. i'm glad your doing better.  I have some good news. we took ryan to the diabetes clinic on june 29th and they lowered both of his insulin's. his lantus is 6 units and on his novlog instead of dividing his carbs by 20 we are dividing them by 25. if that makes any sense. 

pspe4williams
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2010 at 2:03 PM

That is good news, We have been throught that a lot in the begining, and we are fixing to have to change is insulin/carb ratio again at b-fast and lunch, sense he's back in school he's been getting way to low. He's ratio now for b-fast is 1/10 and lunch 1/12 and the school nurse has been having to call me several times a day cause he's dropped down in the 30's, and that makes me very nervous.

lgilmore
by Group owner on Aug. 18, 2010 at 2:09 AM

OMG! in the 30's. the lowest ryan has been is 45. the highest has been 600 ( that was the day he was air lifted to children's hospital) 

jen060208
by New Member on Aug. 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I'm so sorry!! That is so hard! You musn't blame yourself, if this was going to happen it was going to happen. There is surely something to this enviornmental factor making this happen.. I wish I knew what caused it. Hang in there, allow yourself to be upset and angry.. its incredibly difficult having one but having two..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)