Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Effects of Smoking on Kids - good news and bad news

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM
  • 84 Replies

Good news from a new study - kids' exposure to second-hand smoke in the home has dropped significantly since the 1990s.

Read more here.

But the bad news - another study in the Pediatrics journal shows that kids who are exposed to smoke in the household had higher rates of hyperactivity and ADHD.

How do you protect your kids from second-hand smoke?

by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberdy
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM

My children are never around smoke, so it's not really an issue with us.

amy31308
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM

No one in our family are smokers! Thank goodness. I get so mad when were in public and people smoke around us. It's not fair to my kids IMO. So we get away from them ASAP.

amber_jean101
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

We do not allow smoking in our home and if we are elsewhere we ask them to go outside or open a window away from us.

atlmom2
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Our kids do not like smoke and are not around it.  They are teens.  My in laws used to smoke so dh got smoke from both parents constantly.  No ADHD in their home but 30+ years ago it was unheard of. 

rkoloms
by on Jun. 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM

My daughter has had very little exposure to second hand smoke; she is very outspoken about asking people to not smoke around her...

Robin in Chicago

BridgetC140
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM

We don't smoke, so that's not an issue for us.  We sure as hell don't let anyone else smoke in our home and stink it up.  We didn't go to restaurants that allowed smoking, but that is no longer an issue here since restaurants that make more than 20% of their profits from food, smoking has been banned.  That pretty much only leaves bars and we would never bring our child into a bar (smoking or non).

babyfat5
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I quit smoking last Oct. (put on 50 lbs too uhh) anyway before that I only smoked outside or in my bedroom with the window open. My mom is a smoker and we stay with her 2 weeks a year. My kids are exposed to smoke during that time but my mom has air purifiers running and open windows. Her house doesn't even smell like smoke. Besides that there is nobody else around us who smokes anymore. Most are former smokers who like me can't stand the smell anymore. So many have quit due to the cost being so high.

SueB32
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM

We don't smoke and if we go somewhere where someone smokes, they stay outside or don't go near the person who smokes. It's hard because my mom smokes, but we stay outside when we are at her house during the summer so they aren't exposed to it.

mommyheymommy
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM

I wish smoking was illegal.  I really do.  It is just so bad for everyone and it seems that some who smoke don't care who has to inhale their carcinogens. I have asthma and inhaling smoke causes flair ups.  It really makes me frustrated that people don't care if you are able to breathe or not while they are killing themselves and in worst cases, harming their children and family.

aylasmommy2007
by on Jul. 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM

When Ayla was little she ended up with what I call allergies to smoke. Getting puffy eyed and coughing. So I had to put my foot down to family and friends and asked that they stop smoking in the house. We have a big red no smoking sign in our window and a butt bucket outside. No matter the weather they have to smoke outside or go with out. When we go to peoples houses they are nice enough to smoke outside or on their porch. They got the hint after a few times of not smoking in our house. You just have to put your foot down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)