Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Salad dressing without Soybean oil?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM
  • 5 Replies

I read and have heard discussion on how soybean oil is really not healthy for you. So, I began noticing it on the ingredients lists of many foods. Almost every single salad dressing I looked at had it on there.....and I looked at many! Even the organic dressings had it. Does anyone know of a company that sells salad dressing made with only olive oil? Better yet does anyone have any really good salad dressing recipes?

by on Aug. 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SoniaL
by on Aug. 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM

I have 2 bottles of Annies Naturals dressing in my fridge and neither one has soybean oil. They each have Expeller pressed canola and/or sunflower oil. The cook this not that book has great dressing recipes in it.

deedee3849
by on Aug. 19, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I'll check out the cookbook, I've heard of that book but never actually looked at it. I don't believe our store carries Annies but I'll look again. : ) Thanks!

DestMasters
by on Aug. 19, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I love making our own dressings and frankly, I just wing it. A couple of the "staples" that I make are both super easy.

A sweet-ish one is:

1/2 cup oil
about 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar (i use mostly honey and a bit of organic, unrefined sugar)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 - 2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Put the first three ingredients in blender or food processor and blend well. Add the seeds last and be careful not to fully process them. This one is great on spinach salad, spring mix salad, etc.

I also do one with dijon mustard or honey mustard in a pinch. Similar to the above, just without the sugar and the measurements are a bit less for the vinegar. No seeds either but I will pop in some minced garlic and seasoning mix like Mrs. Dash or Emeril's Essence.  This one makes a good marinade too if you increase the herbs/seasonings and such.

You can also do a blue cheese type dressing with oil, vingegar (white wine is always best), a dash of sugar, a bit of water and blue cheese chunks.

I found a GREAT blue cheese recipe that I'd forgotten about that takes a bit of work but is so worth it:

• 7 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons minced garlic and sauté until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer garlic mixture to blender. Add blue cheese, white wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon water, sugar, hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper and remaining 6 tablespoons olive oil; blend well. Transfer vinaigrette to bowl. Mix in chopped basil. (Vinaigrette can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

rkoloms
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Trader Joes has a few; I know that the Tuscan Village does not have soybean oil.

Greek Dressing
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 T. Greek yogurt
1 t. dried oregano
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and fresh pepper
1/3 c. red wine vinegar (or lemon juice)
Combine all ingredients except for oil and yogurt. Add the oil in a slow steady stream while whisking. Then add yogurt a bit at a time while whisking. This will create an emulsion so dressing will hold together

Notes: I prefer this with lemon juice; I make it in my magic bullet (I lOve the thing)

Robin in Chicago

deedee3849
by on Aug. 21, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Thanks Robin! Will try!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)