Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Strep culture positive but no sore throat?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM
  • 16 Replies

My son has been complaining of headaches and belly aches for a few days off and on. I took him to the pediatirician and his tonsils were swollen so they did a throat culture. The quick test came back neg but the send out test came back positive. My son says his throat is not sore at all.....now today I'm taking my 2 year old for a throat culture because they drink off of each other and play together all day.

Has anyone else had a child test positive for strep and not have a sore throat? I find this odd. Neither of my kids have ever had strep before so I'm new to this, I always thought with strep you had a really bad sore throat.

by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
texasmom1800
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Sounds like it was caught early.  My son has done that before.

lovinmymason
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Yes, all the time!  I run a lab in a pediatrician's office and see it all the time.  My son is one of those kiddos.  He always gets a horrendous headache and eventually his throat will get a little sore, but always a headache.  Fever, Headache, Sore Throat, Stomach pain, Rash are all signs of Strep.

A side note on the quick tests.  They are only 98% accurate.  What that means is that if the child has just a small amount of the bacteria or a ton of it, the test may not react.  Not all offices do a culture if the test is negative, so if your kiddo is still complaining a couple days later you probably want to have them retested and insist on a throat culture if it is still negative. 

Hope your kiddos feel better.  My son is home today with it and goes to an ENT next week to see about getting his tonsils taken out.

MELRN
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM

yes people get Strep all the time and sometimes clear it themself with no antibiotics.. the rapid strep test is a bad test it is wrong 50% of the time..

if my kid had a positive strep though I would still treat it with 10 day course of oral antibiotics-- strep can cause heart problems and septicemia which can be very bad

ok last note the first sign of strep is periumbilical pain,  and a fever .. sore throat is a late sign (its been brewing at least 3 days)

deedee3849
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Thanks ladies. Just got back from the pediatrician and kiddo #2 has tested postive too! Now I'm wondering if I have it  : / 

A couple of weeks ago my oldest son's friend had it so I did look it up to check out the symptoms so I could keep an eye on it but I thought you would have sore throat too? I'm glad I took them in and caught it now. My sons birthday party is Sunday and it would have been a bummer if he was really sick then....

DestMasters
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Yep, absolutely. Be thankful that there is no sore throat at this point.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

kaidansmylife
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM
My son is a carrier of the strep virus, he's never had it but the virus stays in him. Idk how that works exactly but every time they've ever done a test on him its come back positive when he didn't have the strep symptoms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deedee3849
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Quoting kaidansmylife:

My son is a carrier of the strep virus, he's never had it but the virus stays in him. Idk how that works exactly but every time they've ever done a test on him its come back positive when he didn't have the strep symptoms.

The nurse mentioned that and I wondered what that meant? She had said my son may be a "carrier". I wonder if even with meds, the bacteria stays? I hope not!

DestMasters
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Strep throat is caused by a bacteria, streptococcal bacteria.  That's why antibiotics can treat it if it's out of hand. The antibiotics kill bacteria. However, antibiotics do nothing for a viral infection.

Could the person saying the son was a carrier have meant, perhaps, the mono virus carrier (Epstein Barr) or a different virus? There aren't really bacterial carriers that don't get ill themselves so much.

Quoting deedee3849:

Quoting kaidansmylife:

The nurse mentioned that and I wondered what that meant? She had said my son may be a "carrier". I wonder if even with meds, the bacteria stays? I hope not!

~Destiny

Listen to your body. It will tell you all you need to know.
Healthy Moms Moderator - Come join us!
Kids' Health Center Moderator - Your kids will thank you!

my4kids274
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM
Yes this has happened to my children also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaidansmylife
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Yes even with meds the bacteria stays. Hes been treated a number of times for it and he still tested positive after the meds. They tested me too, and said im a carrier also. BUT me unlike him, i get strep probably 7 times a year, its no fun :( o and sorry for saying it is a virus, i just couldnt think of the word bacteria lol i was tired and my brain wasnt functioning lmao

Quoting deedee3849:

Quoting kaidansmylife:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN