Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Discussion: Childhood Obesity

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM
  • 19 Replies

Do you think parents should be held responsible if their child becomes obese?  Is this a form of child abuse?  Should these parents be required to take nutrition classes?  Do you think all parents should take some kind of nutrition class?

by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
duckigrrl
by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Honestly, I think that there are many factors that come into a play with a child's weight: genetics, diet, exercise, etc. And I also think that  putting too much emphasis on a child's weight can backfire big time, leading to rebellious weight gain, anorexia, or bulimia.  Requiring the parents to take nutrition classes may help a few, not many. Most  would take the class, give you the yes ma'am nod and continue feeding the child the same way they always have.

Kids come in all shapes and sizes. Even on a good, balanced diet some are going to be naturally thin and some are going to be a bit pudgy. In a lot of cases, as they grow older it evens out.   What tends to work is teaching the child about nutrition and showing them by example how to make healthier choices. Junk food is not always the culprit in overweight people. Going to McDonald's on occasion is not the problem. The problem is too much time sitting in front of the television, the x box, the computer, etcetera and not getting enough exercise when genetics or medication or an underlying health problem is not the case.  I have a friend who feeds her family good, wholesome food --we're talking home grown, organic, full fat good food. Instead of white sugar she uses dried cane syrup. All 4 of her boys are very active and thin, just like both parents.   And I've seen parents who feed their kids healthy food with margarine instead of butter, only skim milk, and the munchkins are still overweight.  Bottom line? Instead of focusing on a number on a scale with kids,  diet should be a factor, but not the only one.  Get out and exercise with them.

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 5:16 PM

1.  Biggest problem is that kids do not walk to and from school every day.

2.  Second biggest problem is that kids don't have PE every day and recess is limited.

3.  What kids are eating.

4.  Portion distortion in today's society.

This is how I see it......

wineprincess
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Now that I have a child in kindergarten I see it both ways.  Parents have a responsibility to ensure their children eat healthy and get plenty of exercise.  

I pack her lunch every day, so I know she is still eating healthy, but she is so inactive at school it's no wonder kids are so over weight!  

She is in full day kindergarten which is from 8-3 every day.  They have 10 minutes of recess per day and if it is raining, cold, or too hot they stay in doors and do stretches for a few minutes then color.  They have PE 2 days a week for 30 min.

Thankfully she is a naturally thin child.  All children need exercise!  I stay at home so I can keep her active after school, but what about working parents.  Plus it would be nice if she had some down time after school, rather than me trying to fit in appropriate amounts of daily activity after school!

Sorry, you hit a really sore subject with me!

Parents should absolutely be held accountable, but with so little activity for young children in Public schools, it's no wonder childhood obesity has become such a concern!

Bethsunshine
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Quoting wineprincess:

Now that I have a child in kindergarten I see it both ways.  Parents have a responsibility to ensure their children eat healthy and get plenty of exercise.  

I pack her lunch every day, so I know she is still eating healthy, but she is so inactive at school it's no wonder kids are so over weight!  

She is in full day kindergarten which is from 8-3 every day.  They have 10 minutes of recess per day and if it is raining, cold, or too hot they stay in doors and do stretches for a few minutes then color.  They have PE 2 days a week for 30 min.

Thankfully she is a naturally thin child.  All children need exercise!  I stay at home so I can keep her active after school, but what about working parents.  Plus it would be nice if she had some down time after school, rather than me trying to fit in appropriate amounts of daily activity after school!

Parents should absolutely be held accountable, but with so little activity for young children in Public schools, it's no wonder childhood obesity has become such a concern!

I homeschool so I take responsibility for my kids' diet and their activity level.

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Home is the best place for teaching many things, first and most important of which is how to think for one's self.” ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!!!

Group owner Christian Homeschoolers http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

rkoloms
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Robin in Chicago

rkoloms
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Quoting wineprincess:

When my daughter was in elementary school, she did have two full-time working parents. The afterschool program she attended included at least an hour of physical activity every day.

Robin in Chicago

rkoloms
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I homeschool so I take responsibility for my kids' diet and their activity level.

Homeschooling is not a viable option for most of us.

Robin in Chicago

busymom64064
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Quoting duckigrrl:

Honestly, I think that there are many factors that come into a play with a child's weight: genetics, diet, exercise, etc. And I also think that  putting too much emphasis on a child's weight can backfire big time, leading to rebellious weight gain, anorexia, or bulimia.  Requiring the parents to take nutrition classes may help a few, not many. Most  would take the class, give you the yes ma'am nod and continue feeding the child the same way they always have.

Kids come in all shapes and sizes. Even on a good, balanced diet some are going to be naturally thin and some are going to be a bit pudgy. In a lot of cases, as they grow older it evens out.   What tends to work is teaching the child about nutrition and showing them by example how to make healthier choices. Junk food is not always the culprit in overweight people. Going to McDonald's on occasion is not the problem. The problem is too much time sitting in front of the television, the x box, the computer, etcetera and not getting enough exercise when genetics or medication or an underlying health problem is not the case.  I have a friend who feeds her family good, wholesome food --we're talking home grown, organic, full fat good food. Instead of white sugar she uses dried cane syrup. All 4 of her boys are very active and thin, just like both parents.   And I've seen parents who feed their kids healthy food with margarine instead of butter, only skim milk, and the munchkins are still overweight.  Bottom line? Instead of focusing on a number on a scale with kids,  diet should be a factor, but not the only one.  Get out and exercise with them.

Bethsunshine
by on Sep. 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Homeschooling is not a viable option for most of us.

That doesn't mean the responsibility is taken off the parents. Parents are STILL responsibile what their kids are eating and their level of activity. Even if the parents work,and send their kids to public school, they can still make sure their kids are eating healthy lunches and getting exercise. A child shouldn't be coming home from school and turning on the tv and computer right away. The public school isn't responsible for the health of children, the PARENTS are.

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Home is the best place for teaching many things, first and most important of which is how to think for one's self.” ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

I homeschool because I've seen the village, and I don't want it raising my children!!!

Group owner Christian Homeschoolers http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

VeeMama
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

1.  Biggest problem is that kids do not walk to and from school every day.

2.  Second biggest problem is that kids don't have PE every day and recess is limited.

3.  What kids are eating.

4.  Portion distortion in today's society.

This is how I see it......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)