Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Discussion: Childhood Obesity

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you think parents should be held responsible if their child becomes obese?  Is this a form of child abuse?  Should these parents be required to take nutrition classes?  Do you think all parents should take some kind of nutrition class?

by on Sep. 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM
Replies (11-19):
DestMasters
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I would love to think that a nutrition class for parents would help. Sadly, I've seen some nutritionists encourage fast food places, artificial sweeteners, foods with artificial colors and other incredibly unhealthy things.

I also think that parents are responsible for their children's health. This means obesity, too thin, malnourished (even obese people can be malnourished) and everything across the board.  

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 11:32 AM

FYI....a nutritionist only has to have a BS degree....not an MD nor any other advanced schooling. 

wineprincess
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Homeschooling is great for some families, but is not for everyone.

I don't think 30 minutes of physical activity daily is expecting too much from a school for elementary school aged children between 5 and 8 years old.

Right now it's still so hot outside it's hard for most kids to play outside for more than a few minutes.

Thankfully we have a pool, so swimming is our afternoon activity.

Our down time consists of activities such as reading, drawing, and crafts and does not include any type of TV watching or time on the computer.

rkoloms
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

That doesn't mean the responsibility is taken off the parents. Parents are STILL responsibile what their kids are eating and their level of activity. Even if the parents work,and send their kids to public school, they can still make sure their kids are eating healthy lunches and getting exercise. A child shouldn't be coming home from school and turning on the tv and computer right away. The public school isn't responsible for the health of children, the PARENTS are.

While I agree with this, not all parents know about nutrition, or its importance.

Additionally, there are plenty of children who qualify for free breakfast and lunch through school, and their parents depend on not having to spend the money to purchase food for those meals. Why don't those children deserve nutritious, healthy foods, like the ones that I pack for my daughter's breakfast and lunch?

Robin in Chicago

rkoloms
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

FYI....a nutritionist only has to have a BS degree....not an MD nor any other advanced schooling. 

An MD is of no value when it comes to nutrition. Most doctors know very little about the subject. Doctors are trained in illnesses, not wellness.

Robin in Chicago

jjzj82
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM
i agree with everything but #1. If the biggest problem is that kids dont walk to school everyday then i should let my 7yo and 5yo walk the 15 miles to school. I dont think so.

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

1.  Biggest problem is that kids do not walk to and from school every day.

2.  Second biggest problem is that kids don't have PE every day and recess is limited.

3.  What kids are eating.

4.  Portion distortion in today's society.

This is how I see it......

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karma719
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 10:35 PM

WHAT!!????

Quoting DestMasters:
Sadly, I've seen some nutritionists encourage fast food places, artificial sweeteners, foods with artificial colors and other incredibly unhealthy things.

tuplamama
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Here (Finland) school starts when kids are 7 years old. Weekly schoolhours in first&second grade are 19 hours/week. Class is 45 minutes and then 15 minutes outside. Kids go outside in every weather. Parents are expected to provide proper clothing for autumn rain and snowy winter. + there is 3 hours PE every week. Most kids here walk to school. If the distance to closest school is more than 3 kilometers(1.8 miles) for small children and 5 kilometers (3 miles)for teenagers then you can take school bus.

Kids have homework but it is very little 15-30 minutes maximum. Children play outside pretty much every day. In summer swimming, soccer and other outside stuff, winter skiing and skating.

At daycares children go outside everyday too. in the mornings and afternoons. Lots of outside activities no matter what season it is. Daycare & school food is free here and it is basic good homefood with lot of berries and veggies, breakfasts are porridges and such things. Only sugar comes if there is yogurt or berry soups.

IMO if kids are encourages and allowed to play and be outside as much as possible and you do not stuff them with fat&sugar filled processed foods and sodas then kids are healthy. IMO health is more important than weight - like someone all ready pointed out, we come in all kinds of bodytypes.

"If education is expensive, try ignorance"

thetammy
by on Sep. 16, 2010 at 4:20 PM

i became obese as a child. i still am. i think its my parents fault. when my mom left my dad thought fast food was a decent dinner, and that cartoons all day was ok. now i eat healthy and exercise but the lbs wont come off. as an obese parent, my son is not allowed junk food, he rarely watches tv, and i take him out to play as often as the weather permits. (wa. always rainy). i do not want him to have to go through what i went through, and am still going through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN