Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old with severe Metatarsus Adductus--PIOG--Long--Update 1 in Green

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have a 3 year old son with Metatarsus Adductus (fancy wording for turned in feet).

Hes had this since 6m old and it has gotten progressivly worse. His first pedi suggested having him wear hard sole shoes on the opposite feet. we did this for a year. Not even kidding. It didnt seem to help. So we got sent to an ortho through one of the childrens hospitals in the area. She blew me off and said Im over reacting. That his feet will get better. They never did. He has gotten sountless injuries from it (mainly smacking his head on the floor and getting nasty bumps but he did end up with an eye injury cause he slid on tile)

After that his new peditrician consulted with his physical therapist and they both agreed that Corbin needs to see a new ortho. So they sent me to a different one and he decided that Corbins feet were so turned in that he couldnt understand how Corbin was able to walk without being in pain. So he did serial casting for 5 weeks. The casts went 3/4 of the way up his thighs

He had them on from September 29 until November 3. The dr was pleased with the results but said he wanted us back  in 1 month to recheck. We went on December 1 and He said Corbin was starting to turn back in and prescribed orthopedic shoes with a recheck in 3 months (which was yesterday)

So we went yesterday to the ortho. He said Corbin left foot is almost back to where it was when we started and his right foot isnt far behind. So he wants to put him back in casting. After discussing this with my mom last night when we got home, mom (who is a nurse for 20 years) said she feels that the surgery that they do for the Metatarsus Adductus may be a more effective way to treat this as opposed to doing casting over and over and over.

I asked Corbins PT what her take on it way. She said she was going to do some research and talk with her friend who is an ortho and get his take on it and LMK tomorrow.

I personally am torn. I hate putting Corbin through the casting over and over. Even more so if it isnt going to work and his feet are just gonna turn back in. However...The surgery seems extreme. I feel as though we have done everything else and are quickly exhausting our options. Corbin is gonna be at an age where hes going to understand whats going on. He'll start to notice that hes different than other kids and start asking questions (hes mostly non-verbal). I wanna do whats right for him...but IDK whats right. DH just keeps telling me that corbin shouldnt even be seeing all the drs he sees (pedi, ortho, pulmonologist, ENT, GI, allergist, plus therapies [pt/ot/st])

have any other moms delt with this?

***Update---4/10/2011***
So I got in touch with Shriners hospital (I didnt even know there was one close by until my brother who is a Shriner told me). Anyway. Corbin goes in Wednesday. Hes seeing the Cheif of staff or something? Anyway What should I expect? I went to Shriners in Philly when I was, like, 12-ish for my back but that was 13 year ago. What should i expect besides a long day?

by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewMomma1013
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM

wow, poor guy. Sounds like the surgery would be your best option since you have tried other treatments and they didn't work. Good luck! Hope his legs get better

rocker_mommy_08
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM

BUMP!

thatgirl70
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I agree, I think at this point surgery is the best option for him. I didn't go through this, but my older brother had club feet, which I think is similar to what yu are describing? I can't remember if he had surgery or if he just wore a cast. This was the early 60's mind you (I came along several years later).

new_mom808
by Andrea on Mar. 4, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I've never dealt with anything like this. I cant imagine how though this must be on you!

If you do the surgery, what are the odds he will require more as he continues to grow?

Lcherniske
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 12:03 AM
Ok- I will give you my experience. My son was born with club feet and casted for the first 6 weeks (changing weekly) then he had the minor day surgery of clipping his achillies tendon before a cast that was kept on for 3 weeks. When the last cast was removed he was in braces with a bar between them for 23 hours a day until he was 7 months. After that time he wore the braces and shoes only when sleeping. He is 2.11 months now and supposed to do that until 3- at which time he will be checked in a few months to make sure he is not regressing then yearly until 18. My brother also had club feet and did have the major surgery and although he does not complain about it unless questioned - he cannot run far or his feet hurt. I only asked him because I was reading research that avoiding the surgery unless all methods fail is to prevent pain and future issues as an adult. I would suggest Shriners- I have seen older children treated. I wouldn't expect casting to be a cure all- from my understanding it puts the feet in the correct position but bracing maintains it. Honestly, I love Shriners and they are free of charge- I would get their opinion. Also- there is a "babies with club feet" group- you might find someone with an experience similar to yours. Also - he may qualify for physical therapy also.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocker_mommy_08
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I contacted Shriners. Im gonna print the application tomorrow and send it in. I went there when I was 10 or so up in Philly due to my back being curved. We have a Shriners about an hr and a half from us in tampa. Hopefully they can get us in. He also gets PT 3x/wk once a week thru his school and 2x a week thru a private center. Hes been getting PT for 6m now thru the center.

Im hoping Shriners can get us in soon. I just wanna do whats best for Corbin....

Quoting Lcherniske:

Ok- I will give you my experience. My son was born with club feet and casted for the first 6 weeks (changing weekly) then he had the minor day surgery of clipping his achillies tendon before a cast that was kept on for 3 weeks. When the last cast was removed he was in braces with a bar between them for 23 hours a day until he was 7 months. After that time he wore the braces and shoes only when sleeping. He is 2.11 months now and supposed to do that until 3- at which time he will be checked in a few months to make sure he is not regressing then yearly until 18. My brother also had club feet and did have the major surgery and although he does not complain about it unless questioned - he cannot run far or his feet hurt. I only asked him because I was reading research that avoiding the surgery unless all methods fail is to prevent pain and future issues as an adult. I would suggest Shriners- I have seen older children treated. I wouldn't expect casting to be a cure all- from my understanding it puts the feet in the correct position but bracing maintains it. Honestly, I love Shriners and they are free of charge- I would get their opinion. Also- there is a "babies with club feet" group- you might find someone with an experience similar to yours. Also - he may qualify for physical therapy also.

momk23
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Wow, I feel for you mama.  Good luck.  My 10 year old has femoral antiversion, which basically means his femor bone is in the hip socket at a different angle, which turns his whole leg inward and causes him to toe in significantly on both feet.  We have been to several orthos who have no recommendations.  It's very noticeable and he cannot run fast like other kids, but he doesn't seem to trip and fall much so the doctor's recommendation is to do nothing.

I hope you can get the help your son needs.

mom2aspclboy
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Have you taken him to a physiatrist yet?  If not, that would be my suggestion for a second opinion.  My son has a differnt orthopedic problem, but like you, we were blown off by the first orthopedist we saw & the second one wasn't of much help, so another parent suggested we take him to a pediatric physiatrist, which we did. 

A physiatrist is a physical medicine doctor and they work with bracing & supports (like pt or ot) to correct physical issues.  Sometimes they will recommend surgery as the most appropriate option, but if an issue can be corrected through bracing/supports, they will try that first.

My son wore custom fitted AFOs (ankle-foot orthoses) for years and they really helped with his coordination & pain from the structural issues/deformities.

rocker_mommy_08
by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM

BUMP!

rocker_mommy_08
by on Apr. 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)