Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 year old with severe Metatarsus Adductus--PIOG--Long--Update 1 in Green

I have a 3 year old son with Metatarsus Adductus (fancy wording for turned in feet).

Hes had this since 6m old and it has gotten progressivly worse. His first pedi suggested having him wear hard sole shoes on the opposite feet. we did this for a year. Not even kidding. It didnt seem to help. So we got sent to an ortho through one of the childrens hospitals in the area. She blew me off and said Im over reacting. That his feet will get better. They never did. He has gotten sountless injuries from it (mainly smacking his head on the floor and getting nasty bumps but he did end up with an eye injury cause he slid on tile)

After that his new peditrician consulted with his physical therapist and they both agreed that Corbin needs to see a new ortho. So they sent me to a different one and he decided that Corbins feet were so turned in that he couldnt understand how Corbin was able to walk without being in pain. So he did serial casting for 5 weeks. The casts went 3/4 of the way up his thighs

He had them on from September 29 until November 3. The dr was pleased with the results but said he wanted us back  in 1 month to recheck. We went on December 1 and He said Corbin was starting to turn back in and prescribed orthopedic shoes with a recheck in 3 months (which was yesterday)

So we went yesterday to the ortho. He said Corbin left foot is almost back to where it was when we started and his right foot isnt far behind. So he wants to put him back in casting. After discussing this with my mom last night when we got home, mom (who is a nurse for 20 years) said she feels that the surgery that they do for the Metatarsus Adductus may be a more effective way to treat this as opposed to doing casting over and over and over.

I asked Corbins PT what her take on it way. She said she was going to do some research and talk with her friend who is an ortho and get his take on it and LMK tomorrow.

I personally am torn. I hate putting Corbin through the casting over and over. Even more so if it isnt going to work and his feet are just gonna turn back in. However...The surgery seems extreme. I feel as though we have done everything else and are quickly exhausting our options. Corbin is gonna be at an age where hes going to understand whats going on. He'll start to notice that hes different than other kids and start asking questions (hes mostly non-verbal). I wanna do whats right for him...but IDK whats right. DH just keeps telling me that corbin shouldnt even be seeing all the drs he sees (pedi, ortho, pulmonologist, ENT, GI, allergist, plus therapies [pt/ot/st])

have any other moms delt with this?

***Update---4/10/2011***
So I got in touch with Shriners hospital (I didnt even know there was one close by until my brother who is a Shriner told me). Anyway. Corbin goes in Wednesday. Hes seeing the Cheif of staff or something? Anyway What should I expect? I went to Shriners in Philly when I was, like, 12-ish for my back but that was 13 year ago. What should i expect besides a long day?

by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Replies (11-14):
Bonnee
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi, this is a long time post your original post, but I thought I would give it a try.

I wondered how you went with your son Corbin's surgery or treatment for metatarsus adductus? We are trying to make the decision about surgery for the same condition for our 6 year old daughter, who has not grown out of the condition. Other than cosmetic, she has no other issues with it.

It seems to be quite a rare condition by this age, and there is a lot of conflicting information about it, particularly the long term outcomes of untreated MTA.

if anyone has any personal experience of this condition, please post.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I just found this post because Bonnee's reply moved it up to the top of the list, but I'd love to know how Corbin's doing and how your visit at Shriner's went.  Hopefully he's a happy healthy little boy!

lizzig
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM

poor little guy.  i haven't had to deal with such but i know one of my nephews had something very similar.  he was put in casts as a baby & i think again once he started walking but he never needed the surgery.  i hope things work out for your little guy & he gets the right help soon.

sidneyb
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM
How is he doing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)