Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Ask the Expert: An allergist answers your questions

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM
  • 83 Replies

March 20 is the first day of spring!  For many, the end of winter means the beginning of allergy season.

If your child suffers from seasonal allergies, help get them some relief here!

All week, starting March 21, Dr. Sakina Bajowala - allergist, mom, and allergy sufferer - will be on hand to answer all of YOUR questions about seasonal allergies!

Submit your questions today and help your kids breathe easier this spring!

Thanks so much for joining us, Dr. Bajowala!

welcome spring.gif

by on Mar. 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DanyielJ
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM
My child is 9 months old.....she has horrible allergies. What can I use to help besides saline?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NHGal
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Without doing a lot of testing, which I know has been shown not to be very accurate, how do we determine if my DD has grown out of her allergy to milk and soy ?

SoniaL
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:34 PM

At what age do you feel children are able to use a neti pot (with help, of course) or is it based on the individual child?

PageKing
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

All three of my children have post nasal drip almost all year what could be causing this?  I have  post nasal drip could it be heredity or environmental?

Mom2Boys9501
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM

My  15 year old son wakes up every morning sneezing. Is this just allergies and if so what can I do to help him besides give him meds all the time. He runs on the track team and the cross country team so it's not asthma. After about an hour of being up it stops.

motherof2boys24
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM

My 2 year old has several problems. He has ezcema, allergy to peanuts, allergy to penicillin and just recently discovered he is allergic to something else. What is causing all these allergies? And second, is he old enough to have allergy tests done on him to determine if these allergies still exists?

ForeverInLove
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Is it true that piercing an infants ears can increase their chances of having allergies? I'm debating if I want to pierce my daughters ears. She is 4 months.

Also, any ways to help reduce allergens, other than an air purifier? We don't have one, and don't have the money to get one off hand. I suffer from horrible allergies year round, as well as my son does. We both use two different meds. Mine are year round, and my son uses a second during the Spring and Fall, and still ends up with sinus infections from them being so bad. Ever since we moved to MI, they have been horrible.

MommyOK
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Hi, I have two boys with numerous food allergies. My older son (almost 4) suffers from eczema so much that I don't know what else to do anymore. Lotions, creams, benadryl, claritin, special detergent for clothes and a constant label reading is my daily routine AND it's still not going away. I hate to see him suffer but I'm afraid his liver or kidneys will "give out" because he's taking so much meds. He's being tested  every 6 months  and no improvement...... What other options do I have?

As far as we know he's allergic to tree nuts, sesame seeds, oats, eggs, also dust, cat dander and dogs(some more than others).....

Hartbrayka
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM

My son has dark circles under his eyes, some days they are worse than others.  My son's pediatrician said it might be due to allergies, do you think this is true?

midnight_storm
by on Mar. 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM
My 3yo dd seems to constantly, at least every couple of weeks, has a lot of nasal congestion. At least a few times a yr this goes into ear infections. I like her dr. What is the best way to present my concerns over all of this to him, without coming across bad or as if I am questioning his ability?

Also, I have suffered from allergies and asthma since I was young. I have nose issues too, not congestion, but some difficulty breathing through my nose. I also gave a weak sense of smell. I used to get bad nose bleeds as a child when my allergies would act up, especially when I was given the nasal inhalers. Is this something I should talk to my dr about? I sort of wrote it off as damage from the inhalers, but my mom said I should have it check.

I don't know if this is relevant, but my mom is being tested for cystic fibrosis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN