Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Ask Dr. Meg - CafeMom's Resident Pediatrician!

Posted by on May. 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM
  • 253 Replies

CafeMom is thrilled to welcome Dr. Meg Meeker as resident pediatrician for Kids' Health Center!

Dr. Meg is here to answer all of YOUR questions about your child's health and development.

With over 25 years experience practicing pediatric and adolescent medicine, Dr. Meg is available to address questions and concerns about all stages of your child's life.

Submit your questions as replies to this post and Dr. Meg will check-in weekly to share her answers below.

Thank you for joining us, Dr. Meg!

Pediatrician, mother and best-selling author of six books, Dr. Meg Meeker is a leading authority on parenting, teens and children’s health.

Meg is the author of five books including the best-selling Strong Fathers/Strong Daughters: Ten Secrets Every Father Should Know, Boys Should Be Boys and Your Kids At Risk. Her most recent book, The 10 Habits of Happy Mothers: Reclaiming Our Passion, Purpose and Sanity (Ballantine) was released in the spring of 2011. She is a popular speaker on pediatric health issues and child-parent relationships.

Meg is an Assistant Clinical Professor at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine and currently teaches medical students and physicians in residency training. She has been married to her husband, Walter, for 29 years. They have shared a medical practice for 20 years. They have three daughters ages 26, 24 and 22 and a son who is 18. She lives in northern Michigan.

Learn more about Meg at www.megmeekermd.com

Follow Meg on Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Dr. Meg is here to provide general advice.  All questions should be addressed with one's own pediatrician.

by on May. 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hudson_Heights
by on May. 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for answering our questions, Dr. Meeker!

I have a 12-year old son.  He's extremely healthy, bright, athletic and active.  He's never had any serious healthy issues.  He's also never been dry at night.  Not one night.

I understand that this is normal for some children and I'm not terribly concerned from a medical perspective - and we've never made a big deal out of it, so it's not an emotional issue for him.  BUT, he is definitely "over" it.  We've tried Desmopressin a number of times and it's never worked.  Each time we've given him 1 pill for a week, then increased it to 2 for a week, and finally 3 pills for a week before giving up and waiting another 6 months.  When giving the meds, we've also limited him to no liquid 2 hours before bed and have woken him to pee before we went to sleep each night.  We did not notice any results.  He's still never had a single dry night.

Again, I'm not concerned that there's an underlying medical issue, but I am wondering if there are other treatment options.

This summer, he's going away for a week with his baseball team and he's very anxious to have this under control before then.  Do you have any recommendations?  Do the "alarms" work? 

plclemo
by on May. 16, 2011 at 11:37 AM

How do you control bedwetting in a 13yr old girl?  She used to wet her bed 2 or 3 times a week.  Our pediatrician put her on desmopressin for a while. She seemed to get over the problem soon after her period started (17 months ago).  So we stopped the desmospressin.  She remained dry for over a year while OFF the medicine.   Now it has come back again.  She is a very deep sleeper.  My husband wakes her up around 1 in the morning (and sometimes that is too late).  We restrict fluids after 7PM and she uses the bathroom right before bed time at 9PM.  What else can we do?  Bedwetting alarms don't work. We have tried.  Should we bring this up with the ped at her 13yo well child check in July?  Thank you for your advice.

jenshapiro
by on May. 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I hope I can ask this question. My question is about me not my kids.

I had a tubal ligation done after my son was born 8 months ago. I had a c-section and just had my tubes tied while on the operating table. My cycle was regular from the time my son was born till now. I am currently 3 weeks late and have signs of being pregnant. Is it possible that I could be pregnant even with a tubal ligation done? If so what is the possibility of it being a tubal pregnancy or in the uterus?

Dr.Meg
by on May. 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Quoting Hudson_Heights:

Thanks for answering our questions, Dr. Meeker!

I have a 12-year old son.  He's extremely healthy, bright, athletic and active.  He's never had any serious healthy issues.  He's also never been dry at night.  Not one night.

I understand that this is normal for some children and I'm not terribly concerned from a medical perspective - and we've never made a big deal out of it, so it's not an emotional issue for him.  BUT, he is definitely "over" it.  We've tried Desmopressin a number of times and it's never worked.  Each time we've given him 1 pill for a week, then increased it to 2 for a week, and finally 3 pills for a week before giving up and waiting another 6 months.  When giving the meds, we've also limited him to no liquid 2 hours before bed and have woken him to pee before we went to sleep each night.  We did not notice any results.  He's still never had a single dry night.

Again, I'm not concerned that there's an underlying medical issue, but I am wondering if there are other treatment options.

This summer, he's going away for a week with his baseball team and he's very anxious to have this under control before then.  Do you have any recommendations?  Do the "alarms" work? 

Dear Hudson-Heights-

I want to first congratulate you for handling what could be a really tough issue for your son very well. The fact that he isn't overly sensitive about this issue speaks well for you.

He has what's called night time enuresis. (I assume that he's dry during the day?) This is very common- particularly among boys. The most common causes of it are: deep sleep, where kids don't awaken when they feel the urge to urinate, immature bladders, urinary tract infection and bladder spasticity. Very ommonly, it runs in families. Did his father have it?

Usually, boys outgrow the problem before puberty, so he should be nearing the end of this ordeal. Here's what I would do if he were my patient. First, make sure that he has no signs of infection (your ped can do this easily) and consider sending him to a pediatric urologist to see if he/she feels that he might benefit from a bladder antispasmotic medication like ditropan.

Things that I don't think will be helpful at this point are: alarms or medications called "tricyclic antidepressants" that are used to help change sleep patterns. They can be dangerous. I would speak with your pediatrician about this soon so that if you decide to try any new medications, you can do so before baseball camp. Good luck.

Dr. Meg

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM
When does it become a concern when your child drops percentiles in growth?

My son (3yrs) went from about 45% in weight and about 30% in height to 25% or below in weight and 5% or less in height. He has GI issues like GERD and celiacs and a milk and soy allergy and then he has asthma and epilepsy and he's on several meds. Could that be the cause of this drop in percentiles? It seems as though he's stopped growing, especially in height.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dr.Meg
by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Quoting plclemo:

How do you control bedwetting in a 13yr old girl?  She used to wet her bed 2 or 3 times a week.  Our pediatrician put her on desmopressin for a while. She seemed to get over the problem soon after her period started (17 months ago).  So we stopped the desmospressin.  She remained dry for over a year while OFF the medicine.   Now it has come back again.  She is a very deep sleeper.  My husband wakes her up around 1 in the morning (and sometimes that is too late).  We restrict fluids after 7PM and she uses the bathroom right before bed time at 9PM.  What else can we do?  Bedwetting alarms don't work. We have tried.  Should we bring this up with the ped at her 13yo well child check in July?  Thank you for your advice.

Dear piclemo-

Absolutely. I would get her in to see her pediatrician now or in the next month or so.Your daughter should be checked for any type of urinary tor kidney infections. Be prepared to give your doctor a detailed history of her wetting problems such as: does she ever wet during the day (even just a little), can she stop her urine when she's voiding on the toilet? is she constipated frequently? do you have a family history of wetting issues (on your side or your husband's). If I were your pediatrician, I'd get a good thorough history and physical exam to be sure that there are no underlying issues with her bladder function. Then, your doctor can help you decide what the next step for you needs to be.

I know that this is tough- particularly for teenagers. It's more common than you might think, but she definitely needs thorough attention from your pediatrician. So when you make the appointment to see your doctor, be sure to tell the scheduler that you will need extra time to discuss this problem. Good luck.

Dr. Meg

Dr.Meg
by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Quoting Mipsy:

My son (3yrs) went from about 45% in weight and about 30% in height to 25% or below in weight and 5% or less in height. He has GI issues like GERD and celiacs and a milk and soy allergy and then he has asthma and epilepsy and he's on several meds. Could that be the cause of this drop in percentiles? It seems as though he's stopped growing, especially in height.

Dear Mipsy-

Here's the scoop on growth and kids. About 20% of all chidlren change percentiles in the first 7 years of life. That being said, the most important factor to look at in growth is how your child is tracking the particluar curve that he's on. For instance, he may drop from the 30% in height to the 5% but then he should stay there. The same is true with weight. The thing that concerns me about your son is that he has good reasons for his weight to drop, not necessarily his height. His meds, along with the absorption problems he has with his celiac may be causing his growth problems.

Here's what I'd do. Keep a log of what he eats, of his bowel patterns (does he have frequent diarrhea?) as well as his GERD (does he ever vomit?) Do this for a week or ten days. Then, take him to his pediatrician and tell him that you're worried about his growth. Ask you doctor (he should suggest it) to take your son's height and weight every 6-8 weeks over the next few months until you see his height and weight following a good curve. This will give you and your doctor a lot of good information. If he starts to grow well, you're all set. If not, then your doctor should do some tests to figure out why he isn't growing.

I know this troubles you, but don't worry- your doctor can help you get this all sorted out. If not- write back!

Dr. Meg

Dr.Meg
by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Quoting jenshapiro:

I hope I can ask this question. My question is about me not my kids.

I had a tubal ligation done after my son was born 8 months ago. I had a c-section and just had my tubes tied while on the operating table. My cycle was regular from the time my son was born till now. I am currently 3 weeks late and have signs of being pregnant. Is it possible that I could be pregnant even with a tubal ligation done? If so what is the possibility of it being a tubal pregnancy or in the uterus?

Dear jenshapiro-

While it's highly unlikely that you could be pregnant- weirder things have happened! There are a few possiblities. First, you could have a tubal pregnancy in the short part of the fallopian tube that's attached to the uterus. This is very dangerous- so take a pregnancy test and if it's positive- call your OB/Gyn right away. Second, very rarely, the tubes can "recanulate", in other words re-attach. This is quite rare but if it happened to you- you could have a uterine pregnancy. 

To be on the safe side, go get a pregnancy test at the drug store to give yoursef some piece of mind. Chances are greatest that you have a late period and nothing else. But let's be sure. Please write back and let me know what happens.

Dr. Meg

N.Venegas
by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Dr Meg

My 8mth old daughter has been constipated since she was introduced to foods at 6mths we've tried alot of different options with my pediatrician as well as natural remidies and some have helped but I worry because I have to use them regulary. Is that bad? I recently was told about baby's jarro-dolphilus will this help? Also is there anything you'd recommend over the counter ,natural or otherwise?

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2011 at 6:45 PM
Thank you so much! In just a couple weeks I will be taking him in for his 3yr check up so from now til then I will do as you have suggested with the log. Thank you!

And yes he frequently has diarrhea and for throwing up he does very little but tends to swallow it back down.

Quoting Dr.Meg:

Quoting Mipsy:

Dear Mipsy-

Here's the scoop on growth and kids. About 20% of all chidlren change percentiles in the first 7 years of life. That being said, the most important factor to look at in growth is how your child is tracking the particluar curve that he's on. For instance, he may drop from the 30% in height to the 5% but then he should stay there. The same is true with weight. The thing that concerns me about your son is that he has good reasons for his weight to drop, not necessarily his height. His meds, along with the absorption problems he has with his celiac may be causing his growth problems.

Here's what I'd do. Keep a log of what he eats, of his bowel patterns (does he have frequent diarrhea?) as well as his GERD (does he ever vomit?) Do this for a week or ten days. Then, take him to his pediatrician and tell him that you're worried about his growth. Ask you doctor (he should suggest it) to take your son's height and weight every 6-8 weeks over the next few months until you see his height and weight following a good curve. This will give you and your doctor a lot of good information. If he starts to grow well, you're all set. If not, then your doctor should do some tests to figure out why he isn't growing.

I know this troubles you, but don't worry- your doctor can help you get this all sorted out. If not- write back!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)