Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My 7 year old has BO!

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM
  • 23 Replies

Is it normal for 7 year old boys to have body odor? Like stinky armpits? I smelled BO and couldn't figure out where it was coming from and then smelled my sons armpits and WHOA! He just turned 7 two weeks ago!! He's in 2nd grade!

I honestly can't believe it! I thought armpit stink didn't start until 10-11 years of age? Should I be concerned?

by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eviesmom453
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM

No clue.

Bl3ss3dMommi
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 8:45 PM
I guess its possible so I guess its time for some Deodorant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sojourner.
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Some kids just get funky a little early. I wouldn't worry...I'd just buy deodorant. :)

deedee3849
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Quoting Bl3ss3dMommi:

I guess its possible so I guess its time for some Deodorant.

I have some Tom's Natural deoderant and he got a kick out of being able to put it on............I still can't believe this.................

It seems I was just rocking him sto sleep at night...*I*am not ready for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cryingthey grow up too fast

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM

How often does he shower? Is he washing well?

Sweat itself doesnt stink. It's the bacteria that makes the smell. Make sure he's washing well. Maybe try a different soap. If it's not manageable, you may need to look at his diet. When we sweat we are eliminating toxins. Fewer toxins, less odor. :) 

When you start deodorant, remember to look for one that is NOT an anti-perpirant. We are supposed to sweat.

karamille
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Gosh I don't want to get in this big debate again, but go google precocious puperty.  Just being stinky is probably not a big deal, but if he has any of the other signs of it, you probably should do see his dr and speficially ask him about it.  Its a bigger deal for boys to show symptoms earlier than girls, because boys should go thru puberty later than girls.  It is more socially acceptable for girls to be short as adults than boys, but when puberty is over, growth stops.  So just keep an eye out for the other symptoms of PP.     

karamille
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM

This is from the MAYO clinic website....

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff

Signs and symptoms of precocious puberty include development of the following before age 8 in girls and before age 9 in boys.

Precocious puberty symptoms in girls include:

• Breast growth
  • First period (menstruation)

Precocious puberty symptoms in boys include:

• Enlarged testicles and penis
  • Facial hair (usually grows first on the upper lip)
  • Deepening voice

Precocious puberty symptoms that can occur in boys or girls include:

• Pubic or underarm hair
  • Rapid growth
  • Acne
  • Adult body odor

When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your child's doctor for an evaluation if your child has any of the signs or symptoms of precocious puberty.

liss05
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM

This is what my Ped told me too he said to also NOT use deoderant at this age but to use a Anti-Bacterial soap.G/L

Quoting new_mom808:

How often does he shower? Is he washing well?

Sweat itself doesnt stink. It's the bacteria that makes the smell. Make sure he's washing well. Maybe try a different soap. If it's not manageable, you may need to look at his diet. When we sweat we are eliminating toxins. Fewer toxins, less odor. :) 

When you start deodorant, remember to look for one that is NOT an anti-perpirant. We are supposed to sweat.

fiddymommy
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM

You can also have him apply some witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide, these both help to get rid of the bacteria that causes the B.O smell. I have my daughter wash her under arms with an antibacterial soap like Dial and then she dabs her under arm with witch hazel on a cotton ball. We have recently tried applying baking soda to her under arms and this has also helped.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 9, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Wow!  I don't know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN