Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cold medicine for my 4 year old.??

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM
  • 14 Replies

ive never given my daughter anything but tylenol.i was wondering what kind of over the counter cold medicines i could give her??

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I use Tylenol Cold.  :-)  Hope she is feeling better soon!

deedee3849
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I don't use any cold medicines with my 4 year old. My pediatrician actually told me not to. I do use elderberry syrup when the boys get sick though and it helps lessen the duration by days. Hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Nov. 27, 2011 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting deedee3849:

I don't use any cold medicines with my 4 year old. My pediatrician actually told me not to. I do use elderberry syrup when the boys get sick though and it helps lessen the duration by days. Hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

Yep, this for me too. If my son is having trouble sleeping I'll give him some chammomile tea. We use a humidifier for stuffyness and elevate his head for congestion.

Good luck!!

TonyaLea
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I think they pulled most of the cold meds for kids under 6, they won't have the dosing measurements for the little kids in the instructions anymore.  Too many people were overdosing their toddlers, so most peds tell you not to give it to them anymore.  

Like Andrea said, a humidifyer always works wonders for my 3 year old, I put it by her bed at night.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Same as everyone else said.  Just try to keep her comfortable and hydrated.  What are her symptoms?

Rooobeee
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I've always relied on Dimetapp because my kids would get colds and allergies. For kids under 6 you just need 1 tsp. You can also give PediaSure and Triamenic.

emmerz1
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I use Hylands Cold and Cough (I think thats the name). It's a homeopathic syrup so it's safe for 2+. I also do a humidifier in her room and sometimes baby vicks

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM

My Pediatrician recommends Dimetapp Cold and Cough Medicine. I personally do not use any. I use a warm steam vaporizer and Ibuprophen for fever and nasal congestion. Most of the time, the nasal congestion is cause from nasal membranes being swelled, so it helps him breath better at night.

DevilInPigtails
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM

You can use any kids meds.  If it isn't portioned for her, cut the 6 year old dosage in half.  I have done this since 2.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Nov. 29, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Quoting new_mom808:

Quoting deedee3849:

Yep, this for me too. If my son is having trouble sleeping I'll give him some chammomile tea. We use a humidifier for stuffyness and elevate his head for congestion.

Good luck!!

My kids love a cup of chicken bouillon when they are stuffy and sickly.  They actually ask for it now!  I make it with a little garlic and a teaspoon of honey.  I also give them green tea, and children's ibuprofen if they have a fever or aches, though that's usually something I give as a last resort, and more to get the aches to go away so they can sleep...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)