Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Reddish, bruise like spots on lower spine *Edit with picture*

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM
  • 23 Replies

I was wondering if anyone else had ever seen their toddler get red, bruise like spots on their spine. My son has fourspots that look like reddish bruises on his lower spine and he says "Mama hurt!" if I touch that area. He has not fallen or hurt himself in that area as far as I know. They have been there for about two weeks now. While they look like bruises, though, they feel slightly scaly. I am going to call the doctor just to be safe but I am just curious to know if anyone else has seen something like this.

by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TonyaLea
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Can you take a picture?  You said it is raised/scaley, is it a rash?

TonyaLea
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I looked at some info online and when I put red scaly patch I came up with ringworm (it is a fungal infection of the skin), if you look at images online does it look like that?

mommyrustina
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM

I posted some pics. I really do not think it is a rash. It started out flat like a bruise with just the larger one at the bottom of his spine, then more started appearing above it. I just noticed the bottom two had a rough texture, and now there are two more spots forming above those. 

Quoting TonyaLea:

Can you take a picture?  You said it is raised/scaley, is it a rash?

karamille
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Definitely see the dr.  I had a client who was getting bruises over her spine and her platelet count was low.  She ended up with a wierd rash too before it was all said and done. 

deedee3849
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM

My son gets dry skin right there. It looks like that and was a rough texture and felt a tiny bit raised. The pediatrician had me put lotion on it and it has since cleared up but it is recurring. I would go to the doctors just to be sure though because my sons never hurt him or bothered him at all. Keep us posted....

mommyrustina
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I couldn't get him in until Friday :( I am sure that it is nothing, but I would rather play it safe especially since he flinches whenever I touch his lower back.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM
my son gets bruised there all the time. Its considered a normal spot cuz they are rough at this age and you don't even realize it. The skin my son has too but he has eczema from food allergies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine86912
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM

just looks like a boo boo from the picture.

aetrom
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM
Looks like he took a tumble and hit his back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM
I used to get those all the time when I was really thin. It was from leaning my back up against a hard surface when I was sitting down. For me it was my school chair, for your little one it could be the bath tub or high chair or kitchen chair or wall when playing. It was very tender and when it got bruised like that, even leaning my back up against the soft couch would hurt. If you notice, there is a bruise where the spine is, it sticks out and causes pressure when leaning against something hard.

I still think getting him check out is a good idea, just incase it's not something this simple. But my guess is it's nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN