Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Who else has started planning their garden? Anyone started planting yet?

plant a tree

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Replies (61-68):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM

We do a little more to ours each year.  I'm going to plant herbs in all my patio pots this year instead of annuals.

This was my big project last summer...the summer before we cleaned out all the yuck and built the patio, last year I painted the fence, built and painted all the pots and pot hangers, and planted bright flowers!

Before...though this is after we cleaned all the trash out and got rid of the 3 foot high weeds!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Last year our friends and neighbors moved in July and left their garden behind.  A bunch of us got together and harvested.  This year I think we'll till the whole thing and anyone who wants to can come and plant in the "community garden".

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM

As you can see, we don't really have a set "garden", but there are lots of areas around our house where we are able to plant beautiful and fruitful things!  The irises have been there for years, and actually originally came from  my husband's grandmother's homestead.  The trees have been there a few years too.  Some of my favorites are these Russian Sage we have.  They are great bee magnets!

We had butterfly bushes, but they died when we transplanted them.  The bees would act like they were drunk and couldn't fly, get all wobbly, fall on the ground...they would pass out on the flowers and we'd find them in the morning asleep on the busy, or they'd have fallen off the bush onto the ground.

They don't do that with these!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Here was a big project last year too...

Before

During...

After, but before planting!

At night

Trying to find some low maintenance, fairly dry flowers/low shrubs to plant there this year because hauling the hose out to water all the time is a royal pain!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Quoting dustbunny:

If you want plants that produce purple flowers, try lavender and salvia.  Salvia continuously produces flowers throughout the spring, summer and fall months.  The honey bees and bumble bees love salvia.

I wanted to put some Lavender in. I had some in a pot last year, but I think I killed it.

Salvia is a great suggestion!! Thanks :)

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Holy Moley you've been busy. I remember the retaining wall picture. It looks great!!

I love all the garden nooks, and you fence w/ pots looks AWESOME!!!

Most evergreen bushes dont require a lot of maintenence, once established.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Before

During...

At night

Trying to find some low maintenance, fairly dry flowers/low shrubs to plant there this year because hauling the hose out to water all the time is a royal pain!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Thanks!

Quoting new_mom808:

Holy Moley you've been busy. I remember the retaining wall picture. It looks great!!

I love all the garden nooks, and you fence w/ pots looks AWESOME!!!

Most evergreen bushes dont require a lot of maintenence, once established.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Before

During...

At night

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN