Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Gas?? My six year old...need some advice pls. ***Update***

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM
  • 25 Replies

Okay, so my son is six years old. When he was a baby, he was always constipated. So he's had a history of issues like this. It seems that a lot when he comes home from his dads house, he is constipated or gasy. He will come home and complain of a stomach ache. He will go #2, and feel better. Well today he immediately came to me from his dad, and hugged me which is sweet but odd because when he does that it's more of a him not feeling good type thing. His dad said that he'd given him some tylenol because he complained of his head and stomach hurting. I talked to ds, and apparently he woke up with a stomach ache this morning. He tells me he did go #2 one time at his dads house (which he usually never even does once from fri to sun). Well so then I have him try and go again at home which he does with some problems going. He doesn't really feel better after. Ds tells me he thinks it's because he had a lot of junk to eat..I ask him what and he says 3 juices, ice cream, giant pickle and pickle juice. I didn't think that sounded awful for the entire weekend. So, I have him lay down and gave him some pepto because he was crying out in pain. He didn't really seem to be constipated.  But now he is crying so hard in pain, its only 9pm here and he's woken up 3 different times now since he went to sleep an hour ago, just sobbing in pain. He points to his entire stomach has hurting...he is tossing and turning with his eyes closed. I tried a heating pad, curled up in fetal position, rubbing his belly. I don't really know what to do. My mom went and got him a 7up so we've got that. But has anyone had to deal with what I am assuming is gas like this?? Any recommendations? My son does not just cry over anything either...it has to be bad. He's six ear surgeries and takes weekly allergy injections and those have been not a big deal. I've just never seen him in this much pain./..:(

****UPDATE****

Thank you ladies for all of your helpful advice. It is very much appreciated. :) 

Last night, I laid down with him because I put him in my bed and he woke up again after actually almost sleeping an hour this time. He was in some very bad pain. So I went ahead and took him to the ER around midnight. Come to find out, it was bad constipation. We were told to increase his fiber in his diet, and cut out caffeine and sugar. Which we will be doing...We got home around 3am. Then I gave him some more tylenol for the pain which I was told to do. But he immediately threw it up. That's the first time he was nauseated. After that, he seemed to feel better. After sheets being changed, showers and everything we finally went to sleep around 4am. So we're both home today. I did speak with his father first thing this morning regarding his diet. That he does not need sugars, sodas, etc. He was in agreement with me on that. I also spoke with my parents and my grandmother. My grandmother is more of th eone who has cokes and candy at her home. So I went by there at lunch and told her the situation. So I am thinking we can turn this around,. He is actually feeling really good today. Just resting. Oh...and we're starting..or really re-starting Mirilax today. He has been on it before but hasn't lately. So we'll start it in the evening times. Whew..it's been a long night/day lol. I don't think he has lactose intolerance. He's fine with dairy products. He rarely has diarrhea or nausea. Its just the opposite..more gas, and constipation. He's had constipation issues since birth. But thank you once again ladies. I was freaking out last night. lol.

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raegan1221
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

bump 

frndlyfn
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Is that all he had to eat all weekend? If so that would throw a stomach into a tizzy.......Dairy and acid do not mix   Vinegar is an acid and used in pickle juice.  Depending on how your night goes, you may want to contact his doctor about it.  Have you felt if the stomach area is hard or tight as if there was an obstruction /constipation?

raegan1221
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Is that all he had to eat all weekend? If so that would throw a stomach into a tizzy.......Dairy and acid do not mix   Vinegar is an acid and used in pickle juice.  Depending on how your night goes, you may want to contact his doctor about it.  Have you felt if the stomach area is hard or tight as if there was an obstruction /constipation?

No, no..that's the junk he said he had. He had plenty other things to eat and drink. Yeah the pickle and pickle juice I was kind of concerned about. He does eat a lot of pickles. His belly doesn't feel hard like it does when he's constipated. I am hoping he gets better. If he doesn't, I think I may take him in during the night or call his dr asap in the morning, I just hate seeing him in this much pain. Thx for your advice:)

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
starreyedcutie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Id take him to the er!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Id take him to the er!!

That's what I was seriously considering. I just didn't know if this was just gas pains or what...But I'd hate to just not take him in, and then it being something pretty serious ya know.

He went to sleep again, but if he wakes up again and the pain isn't any better, we'll be going to the ER. Thanks.

hwifeandmom
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

With a history of being constipated after coming home from dad's house, and since he had problems pooping after he got home this time, I'd suspect he's just more constipated than usual and relaly needs to be cleaned out.  You can try an enema (they make pediatric enemas) or some chewable chocolate ex-lax, to help him eliminate.  The longer he retains all that poop, the worse he feels.

You might want to start giving your son a dose of Miralax or another stool-softening laxative before he goes to his dad's house each week, to try to help reduce the severity of the problem on the weekend.  Maybe you could send some fiber gummies with him to eat while he's gone.

TerriC
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I think the ER or your Dr. if he had slept through the night.  I hope he feels better!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I would look into dairy elimination. It sounds like me when I have too much lactose. Ice Cream is a HUGE trigger for me. I can have sour cream, cheese, even a glass of whole milk every once in a while, but ice cream will land me in bed.

If it were simple constipation, I would think the pickle juice would have cleared that right up. LOL

new_mom808
by Andrea on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

What are the symptoms of lactose intolerance?

People with lactose intolerance may feel uncomfortable 30 minutes to 2 hours after consuming milk and milk products. Symptoms range from mild to severe, based on the amount of lactose consumed and the amount a person can tolerate.

Common symptoms include

• abdominal pain
  • abdominal bloating
  • gas
  • diarrhea
  • nausea
corrinacs
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Gas pain can be mighty painful :/.  i would speak to his dad about what he's eating at his house, especially anything he's eating there that he's not eating here.  Could be a food allergy if its happening that often....or anxiety.  Considering its consistent, I would def. run this by your doctor for further evaulation.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)