Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 15 month old wakes up crying off and on for 3-4 hours at night. Help?!?!?!?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son used to sleep through the night with no problem. Then this past month everything has changed. Here is a list of everything that I have tried over the past month to month and a half.

• He already goes to sleep on his own and in his own room. So he isn't waking up and needing me to put him back to sleep.
  • He doesnt take a bottle or sippy cup at night. So he isn't waking up needing a drink.
  • I've tried feeding him before bed to make sure he was full and not waking up hungry.
  • I've tried giving him a bedtime bath followed by rubbing him down with bedtime lotion.
  • I thought it might have been teething at first so I occasionally would give him Oragel and Advil but that didn't help.
  • I make sure his room isn't too hot or too cold.

I took him to the doctor last week and told her what was going on. She ruled out sickness and said that his gums werent swollen, like they normally are when he is teething. She asked what I had tried and she couldn't think of anything that I haden't already tried. Additionally she couldn't provide me with a reason for why it is happening. She said that they normally tell parents that their kids can cry up to an hour before they go to sleep. (which worked when I was first trying to get him to sleep on his own.) She said normally they cry for 15-20 minutes then go to sleep. (Which is what my son used to do.) She said that it is weird that he would be crying for over an hour. The only possible answer she gave me was that he was holding out for me to come in there. Which they tell you to do if they are still crying an hour later.

I had a friend suggest  night terrors but those happen when they are still asleep and don't react when you come in the room because they are still asleep. He calms down when I pick him up. So then I looked at nightmares which sounded plausible but I couldn't imagine him having nightmares every night. He will go to sleep then 3-4 hours later he wakes up crying and screaming off and on for 3-4 hours. Meanwhile he is throwing everything out of his bed including his pacifiers.

In the beginning I used to let him cry because that is what worked before. But after weeks of him crying for up to 4 hours a night I had to go in after acouple hours and let him down in his room for 30-45 minutes. Then he would go back to sleep. So far that is the only thing that has gotten him back to sleep. 

The doctor said he needs to have 14 hours of sleep a day, 12 of which should be at night. He usually takes 2 naps during the day which combined total anywhere from 1.5-3 hours of sleep. Then he sleep for 8-9 hours at night but that is with waking up after a few hours and crying off and on for 3-4.

Please if anyone has any ideas that I can try for him to sleep through the night again or any possible answer for what could be causing this i would greatly appreciate this.

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TerriC
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM

My daughter did something similar, but it wouldn't take as long for her to go back to sleep.  She would throw all her stuff out and cry knowing we'd come in and see what was going on.  It was like we were wrapped around her finger (maybe we were...lol).  Anyway, we'd start taking longer to go in to see her and eventually she stopped.  However, if he is crying for that long, I don't know if the solution we tried would help you at all.  Maybe a night light??  My daughters sleep better with one.

Connors_Mommy12
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I know he is scared of the dark so I started leaving the tv on and it served not only as a night light but a distraction too.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

My youngest did something similar but I was still nursing so I just took him to bed with me and nursed him back to sleep.  I wish I had a better suggestion.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Quoting Connors_Mommy12:

I know he is scared of the dark so I started leaving the tv on and it served not only as a night light but a distraction too.

The tv might be too much of a distraction-I would definately get an actual night light or small lamp.  We have ones from IKEA that attatch to the wall and are shaped like the moon and stars in the boys rooms.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Mar. 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I have no idea what could be causing it.
What happens when you go in? Have you tried just patting his back and talking to sooth instead of picking him up?

I also agree that the television may be too stimulating. I would go with a night light and maybe a CD. It almost sounds like he's having a waking confusion event, but actually waking up, and getting freaked out. If it were me I would go in immeditately to calm him, in hopes of cutting the whole episode short.

suzisunshine9
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Did you find anything that worked when you were going through this? My 16-month-old is doing the exact same thing. this has been going on for about 6 weeks now.

ardiaxe
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Quoting suzisunshine9:

Did you find anything that worked when you were going through this? My 16-month-old is doing the exact same thing. this has been going on for about 6 weeks now.

My son did this at the same age, I figured out that it was a food intolerance causing stomachaches at night. Stomachaches tend to bother children most when they are sleeping. Some things that can help are mylicon gas drops and colic calm before bed. The next step is to see if there is a specific food that is bothering him. I found pasta and fiber rich foods such as avocado to be the most irritating to both of my children.
new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM

He's a little young but could it be growing pains?
He does wake up? Can he tell you why he's crying?

Could he be overly tired? When my son gets too tired he doesnt have night terrors exactly, but he does call out and cry, but like your rouses easily when I go to comfort him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)