Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Ask the Expert: Dr. Meltzer Answers Your Allergy Questions

Posted by   + Show Post

We are no longer taking questions for Dr. Meltzer, but you can see his answers to many questions here.

CafeMom is excited to announce that Dr. Eli Meltzer will be answering questions about children's allergies.

We will be sending him your questions and will post his replies. Dr. Meltzer is Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, San Diego and is also a founder of the Allergy/Immunology Fellowship Training Program at UCSD. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Post your questions below! We will be posting Dr. Meltzer's responses to some of your questions beginning in two weeks and again in early May. We're taking questions until the end of the month, so come back if you think of something else!

Ask your questions now and you will be entered to win a $250 American Express gift card!

The Official Rules

The Ask an Allergist Sweepstakes starts April 2, 2012 at 11 am  (ET) and ends May 18 at 11:59 p.m. (ET) (the "Sweepstakes Period").

Enter by replying to this post with a question for Dr. Meltzer during the Sweepstakes Period.  Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. One (1) winner] will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive an American Express gift card (valued at $250).  The random drawing shall occur on or about May 31.

*No Purchase Necessary. Open to US residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 5:13 PM
Replies (121-130):
JasonsMom2007
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:14 AM
I am so confused. My son will be 5 next month. He has terrible seasonal allergies so we had him tested. At almost 3 years old a scratch test showed dust, mold, and trees. He was retested a couple of weeks ago and nothing showed up at all! But still he has terrible symptoms. He is on 2 allergy meds right now (flonaise and another one that is prescription only but almost like claritin) and still has some symptoms. His ears get so congested he cant hear. He coughs and sneezes and always has allergic shiners.
they did a blood test this time around and tested for so much stuf
f they couldn't even do it all in one draw! The allergist told me I can take him off of his meds because he has no allergies but if I do that his ears get infected and hes so miserable he does nothing but lay on the couch all day!
zyrtec no longer works for him. Allegra gave him severe anxiety. And singulair gave him nightmares and hallucinations. We are running out of options!
What is this and what do we do about it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Oh and another thing. He was sent to be tested for asthma because we end up in the er for breathing treatments over simple colds. They thought he had bronchitis last time because his breathing was so bad but it was just a cold! But they say he has to be 6 to be tested. How do we stay out of the er?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_two
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Sorry if this has already been asked. My son is going to start getting allergy shots. What are the 'pros and cons' of getting them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_two
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Can getting allergy shots decrease the chances of my 7 yr.old son developing asthma?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Quoting karamille:
Quoting TonyaLea:

Is the doctor still planning on aswering some of our questions?  

Maybe we scared him off with all of our questions.  =)

I just figured out his answers are in another sticky post.  :)

lasombrs
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM
i was wondering too. they should have linked it to this post somehow. i'll try later when not mobile

Quoting TonyaLea:

Quoting karamille:

Quoting TonyaLea:

Is the doctor still planning on aswering some of our questions?  

Maybe we scared him off with all of our questions.  =)

I just figured out his answers are in another sticky post.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lasombrs
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM
lasombrs
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM

seems like only very general questions will be answered, or so far they are anyway. But its some great info!

lasombrs
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM

what should be expected from your first appointment with an allergist?

lasombrs
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Is allergy testing, either blood draws or skin tests, something that is usally done in house or are patients usually sent to a lab for testing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)