Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

HELP!!!! "I am fat" she said!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

OMG!!! My 4 year old daughter just told me that her dress made her look FAT!! She just turned 4 on Sunday. Is this normal???

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
angeleyes16
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Maybe she might of picked it up from somewhere. Any adult females around her say those things?

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

FYI you just contradicted yourself. 

"heard it and is repeating it"   is the epitome of 'normal' for a 4 year old. 

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Not normal. She heard it and is repeating it. Do you say it?

Mama2ETA
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

No, because it is not normal for a 4 year old to HEAR these things....

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

FYI you just contradicted yourself. 

"heard it and is repeating it"   is the epitome of 'normal' for a 4 year old. 

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Not normal. She heard it and is repeating it. Do you say it?

BbyGrlPickles
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Hell no it's not normal! My nephews have been worrying about the same things though and there 6 and 9! Poor guys :( it's the damn tv and movies and shit that's making them worry so much... Thank you media and unattentive parents that can't kick there lazy ass kids outside for an hour or two every day it's nice enough outside!

Mama2ETA
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I dont believe kids are born being lazy, these lazy kids are being created by often lazy parents.

Quoting BbyGrlPickles:

Hell no it's not normal! My nephews have been worrying about the same things though and there 6 and 9! Poor guys :( it's the damn tv and movies and shit that's making them worry so much... Thank you media and unattentive parents that can't kick there lazy ass kids outside for an hour or two every day it's nice enough outside!

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM

My daughter told me the other day, if you eat too much you will get fat. Not much I could say to disagree because its true, then she followed it up with"I don't eat too much because I'm not fat, I eat lots of healthy food and alittle bit of candy" she is 5.

your daughter heard that somewhere as did mine. TV is covered up in diet ads ex jenny craig, weight watchers, sick skinny people paraded around like they are the most beautiful, hungry creatures on the planet, obese news stories blah blah city in the fattest in America...Diabetes linked to obesity...America's children are fatter than ever. Ever wonder why they are fat?

jediGert
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Kids are brutally honest.  They are also a lot more aware of stuff than most people give them credit for and have no filter.  If she says it made you look fat, it's because it does.  Sorry.

As for the silly moms saying no that's not normal, oh heck yah it's very normal in every way.  They also notice if someone is ugly, really short, super tall, has a giant mole on their ear, have crossed eyes.... hope you get the picture.

StevensCare4u
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I think it is. As long as she's not making herself feel bad, Just give her positive feedback. Say no you look wonderful in that dress. Reasure her that she is beautiful no matter what!

nicole2884
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:26 PM

um typically no, but since she is i would have to  say shes probably picking it up from where, 

are you talking about your weight alot or have you said that recently those are both key reasons she would say that

i know i can tend to obsess over my weight , aka talk about being fat an losing weight (we dont have kids yet) but i would try to avoid talking about your body , even if you hate your body talk about how pretty you look talk about how pretty she looks focus on positives 

MorriganzMommy
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Quoting Vertical15:

My 4yo has said that (and he's a boy!) turns out he just felt really uncomfortable after eating a lot and when he said it thats what he meant.  I do think, too, she probably overheard it.

My DD did the same thing, she said she was going to stop eating because she was fat and I freaked but really she meant she was really full and COULDN'T eat anymore. Sometimes kids don't understand what they are saying, they just piece together what they hear from adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN