Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Would you charge your doctor for wasted time?

Posted by   + Show Post

A interesting topic that has been a topic of discussion in my due date group lately due to an issue I and a couple others have had at our OB offices recently.  

How long do you typically wait for your doctor to show up to a scheduled appointment?  Are you charged a fee if you are late?  Do you think a patient should be able to charge a fee if the doctor is excessivly late?  Here is an article about one lady who does just that, and has about a 50% success rate of recieving a check in the mail:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/30/time.worth.money.cohen/index.html

(the linked artilce in tip #3 is a good read as well, with additional tips for reducing wait times).

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
kit_manson
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

My OBGYN was always, always a 2-4 hour wait. FOUR hours! While pregnant, or postpartum! Good god...

Hesmynavyman
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Many doctors are only running late sometimes because of other patients sometimes all they want to do is sit there and talk away when the doctor really just needs to make sure your good and health and taken care of then leave. So I think No doctor should be charged a fee and I think that they SHOULD stay on schedule and if someone is late then it's their loss not the doctors!doctorclock

AnotherPutra
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:17 AM

If I was paying insurance or out of pocket, yes I would do that. It's common courtesy, if they have to charge us, we should be able to charge them!

SimplyErathy
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:23 AM

our last pedi would scedual 6-10 people for the same time, we had a wait time of at least 3-4 hrs, longest was6hrs, and then actually seing the doc was maybe 30mins at th emost O_o

mrsdic
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM

i never waited less than 2 hours past my scheduled appt when i was pregnant with my 2nd.... i wish i could have charged!!  it was horrible.

Numom61507
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I hate waiting at the docs office! The worst amount of time I had to wait was when I was preg and I had to do the 7am blood glucose test (Ugh right??). I got there at 6:55 so I could be seen right away. Turns out they lied to me and they opened at 6 (told me 7). I didn't know. I thought the phlebotomist was running late. 7:30 came. So did 7:45. Finally, a woman stood up and said "Come with me." It was the same woman who had been sitting there EATING HER BREAKFAST AND FINISHING HER COFFEE FOR 45 MINUTES!! I was appalled and ripped into her and her supervisor. I was so mad... and hungry. Very very hungry!

Uhura
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM

It depends on how long I have to wait and the doctor I'm seeing.

My primary care and my orthopedic doctors, they tend to have patients who need more time than was scheduled. Not their fault, and I'd rather it go over and they're listened to. 

The only time I waited longer than 20 minutes is when the receptionist actually didn't say I was there, after she told me she had.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

juicebox.
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Exactly, most drs aren't late because they're in the coffee lounge reading magazines or just don't care.  They're late because they're dealing with other people's issues.  And realistically issues that may be more important than your own.  So I don't mind waiting.  I honestly did bitch once about waiting because it was an unreal amount of time that she was late, but then I found out where she was and what she was doing and I felt like the biggest piece of sh*t for even saying anything.  Let drs take their time, I'd rather that than to have them rush through things.  Do you want them to do a half assed examination on you just so they're not late for their next apt?

(((hi mipsy))

Quoting Mipsy:

Well a lot of dr's are late because other appts are late which starts a snowball effect. But many dr's overschedule too and then they have a few patients who really need their time vs a quick 5 minute appt and then they get delayed again.

Mom2Addison12
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:08 AM

that's why i don't go to the doctors unless 100% needed. i hate the wait, beccause it's normally a half hour wait in the waiting room then another 10 in the room. 

manda-nicole010
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 4:43 AM

That was an awesome read.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)