Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

new and need a little advice

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hi, I'm jessica. I have a 13month old dd and she's the love of my life. She was a preemie. (35weeks 6 days) and was born at 4lbs 9 oz. She is now 16lbs 3oz. The doctor is calling it 'failure to thrive'. I think he needs his head checked. Some days its a struggle to get her to slow down to eat (as is normal with this age) however, I make sure that She eats 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, plus 16-24oz of pediasure. Plus, if she eats all her meal, she may get some pudding or a cookie. And all her meals have fruit, veggie, protein, dairy and whole grains. She's smart as a whip and almost walking....what do you think? Am I not feeding her enough?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Xandriasmommy
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Does she follow HER growth curve?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xandriasmommy
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Oops. Anyway if she does, I wouldn't worry. If she's not, they might need to run some malabsorption tests since she is eating so well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking the same as Nycole, if she is still growing on her own growth chart then I wouldn't let it worry you.  Drs have a way of categorizing people that isn't always the right fit.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, is she gaining? Is she on track for her? Is she meeting her milestones?

You can try adding extra calories into her diet, if it would make you feel better. Some of DS's favorites were avacado, and pureed beets w/ cream cheese.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I don't have any experience with this, but it sounds like you've got some good advice!

dueweke_j
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM
She had gotten sick andlost a few ounces, but gained them back plus around half a pound. She is gaining, just slowly. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to incorporate some more good fats into her diet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lydi
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM

my dd was not a preemie, but she went thru the same stuff. she gained weight but very slowly and not a lot but my drs were never worried because she weighed more each checkup. my dd is still very thin but i get all her nutrients in her and she is fine.  some kids are just small and dont gain weight fast. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN