Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

help me with a high fever issue

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM
  • 13 Replies

my 3 yr old dd was dx'd yesterday with coxackie (hand, foot and mouth). she has none of the icky symptioms, except a HIGH fever and irritability. she is (high functioning) autistic, and i am having a HARD time getting her to accept anything i can do to bring the fever down. i cant get her to take any type of medicine, i have tried several flavors and brands, liquids and chewables etc. she wont take them on her own, is somehow wise to me putting it in her drink even though she didnt see me do it and has not even tasted or smelled it, somehow manages to spit it out even when i hold her down and use a dropper slid to the back of her throat. she wont let me put a BeCool patch on her anywhere, or an ice pack, wont get in a bath or play in sprinkler (its warm enough here already) or kiddie pool. with the autism, the flailing and fighting is really FUN and i swear it somehow givers her superhuman strength. i know she feels awful and i need her to feel better so her fever wont put her in the hospital, it has been over 104 for 12 hours now (but dr's still dont think admitting her is necessary) so i am really worried about her. 

please, if you have any other suggestions for me, let me have them!!!!

by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you try to make it a game?  You run through the sprinklers with her, or Mommy "takes the medicine" if she will.  If nothing is working, maybe call her Dr.  Good luck!  =)

TonyaLea
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

How about putting the liquid form in food, like applesauce, pudding, oatmeal, etc?

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM

popsicles?  ice cream?  

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I like all of the ideas above.  Can you think of any way to bring it in as part of a new routine?  She's obviously struggling with the irritability, and I'm sure that it's throwing her off and messing with the way that her world functions.  

I like Terri's idea of trying to make a game of it, but maybe if there's a way to build it in it would put her more at ease?  Does she have picture cards or a people/places book?  Could you add a card or cards that show the medicine and the ice pack and just try to give a simple explanation of what they are and why she needs them?  Even though she might not understand, if you just keep calmly (yeah I know that's a tough word sometimes) trying, maybe eventually she'll understand.  

PrincessZ20
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM

If she's really not having any other symptoms, then I wouldn't worry too much about medicating her.  Just make sure to keep her hydrated!

Good luck, I hope she geels better soon!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 18, 2012 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried just stripping her down to her underwear and letting her play quietly? Is she staying hydrated?
Frozen fruit is another idea.

ballerina.2006
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 7:04 AM
We would put the chewable tylenol in somethin like a twinkie or hostess came of sorts (family favorite is zebra cakes). Its a treat that is only bought on rare occasion so my kids dont think twice!

As a CNA we would grid pills and add them to pudding or applesauce to get our residents to take them. I've heard ice cream works wonders too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

How high is the fever?  I would just try to keep her cooler through light clothing, a warm bath, playing in water anything she is up for that doesn't cause her to overheat more.

My 4yo spits out medicine, too.  Try putting it into her cheek not the back of her throat which could cause a gag reflex, she may not get it all still but some is bett then none.

Mrs.Ziggy
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

The only thing I can hide medine in is Cherry 7up, I'd try that if nothing else works.  Also lukewarm baths and keeping her naked.

dandersen
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM

thanks to all for your advice. i guess her taste buds were really off and the medicine just wasnt nice anymore. her fever is finally down (never did get any medicine in her, but she had fun playng with ice cubes in a bath, fianlly) now that she is all better, she is ASKING for her (allergy) medicine again. silly girl. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)