Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Has anybody ever heard of

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM
  • 10 Replies
a frenum growing between the teeth. Dd had Her 1st dentist app. Today & they noticed that she has a piece growing between her teeth that's connected to her lip. It's like the little piece of skin that everybody has connecting their lips to their gums but hers is bigger & kind of in the wrong place. Anyway they were talking about how they would have to remove it when she gets older. Does anybody have any experience with this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xandriasmommy
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Yup it's a form of tongue tied, but that's about all I know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I do not.  My DD had to have a vein type thing removed from between her two front teeth that was causing a gap, but that is the only experience I have had.  I hope someone here had advice for you!

Vertical15
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I was thinking it sounds similar to a tongue tie but I don't know enough about either.  Sorry I'm not much help!

corrinacs
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM

YEah, its super common in infants (one of the major causes of feeding issues).  Apparently, its quite easy to fix as well :).  Hopefully it doesn't require too much  for you!

Nattiesmom10
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM
I didn't notice it until the dentist pointed it out but she did have trouble bf. I had to use a shield.

Quoting corrinacs:

YEah, its super common in infants (one of the major causes of feeding issues).  Apparently, its quite easy to fix as well :).  Hopefully it doesn't require too much  for you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrstheriault
by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:52 PM

i heard it's called lip tie

eta: causes a gap in the front teeth, but not too serious and easy to fix

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I've heard of it, and heard that it's not really that uncommon, but sorry, I dont have any experience with it.

When do they think they'll go it to fix it?

ardiaxe
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM
My daughter has it and it caused lots of nursing issues. She couldn't keep suction, so we used a nipple sheild. She still had trouble and I ended up pumping for her. Now at 17 months her teeth have a huge gap. It's kinda cute. I am going to leave my daughters alone, since most naturally tear with time and i hear it's a painful procedure.
Nattiesmom10
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM
She said they wouldn't mess with it till she was older. I did a little bit of reading & it says sometimes when the permanent teeth come in it fixes itself but if not they need to fix the gap first then remove it. If they remove it before it can cause scar tissue & then the gap can't be closed.

Quoting new_mom808:

I've heard of it, and heard that it's not really that uncommon, but sorry, I dont have any experience with it.

When do they think they'll go it to fix it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nattiesmom10
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM
We're not going to be doing anything to it for a while. If it doesn't correct itself when her permanent teeth come in we will most likely have it fixed. Her dentist said it was a quick procedure they numb it & use a laser to remove it. There are no stitches & any discomfort should be manageable with ibuprofen.

Quoting ardiaxe:

My daughter has it and it caused lots of nursing issues. She couldn't keep suction, so we used a nipple sheild. She still had trouble and I ended up pumping for her. Now at 17 months her teeth have a huge gap. It's kinda cute. I am going to leave my daughters alone, since most naturally tear with time and i hear it's a painful procedure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)