Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My unborn babies health

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 15 Replies
I'm not providing the right nutrition for my baby. I still have severe morning sickness, and can barely eat & when I do its stuff that doesn't have much nutritional value. It's after 5 pm now and I've ate one cereal chocolate bar, grapes, and chips... It's so hard! I still take my pre natal pills and my iron pills (I'm anemic) so baby is getting the vitamins etc I need from the pills. It just worries me soo much :/
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sunshine_246
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Conveniently your baby will use up your store of vitamins at your body's expense.
You should absolutely keep trying things do you can do get nutrition. One thought though, often the iron pills and vitamins will make you sick if you don't have enough food in your stomach. I had to switch to chewables for a while just to get them in and still allow me to eat. Then for my 2nd pregnancy pretty much all I could eat and not be sick was taco bell soft tacos. My midwife said sometimes its about survival more than content. I don't know if it helps but hopefully it will pass and you can try to make up for it later and eating excellent while breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
workoutmom2b1g
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM

My doc gave me pills for morning sickness. They are magical. Ask your doc for some! Goood luck hun!! HUGS!!

Nattiesmom10
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 5:42 PM
You're baby will get the nutrients it needs before u do. Try not to worry about it. I lost 30lbs when I was pregnant. I had morning sickness until around 20 wks & then she was pushing against my stomach so even though I could finally eat without vomiting I got full really fast. I lived off mcds fries. Just keep taking ur vitamins & if ur docs worried about it they will let u know. Dd was 7lb 12oz & 20in perfectly healthy. You may also ask ur dic about phenegran it helps with the nausea a little & there's also these things u can get called sea bands that help....they go around ur wrists.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Quoting Sunshine_246:

Conveniently your baby will use up your store of vitamins at your body's expense.
You should absolutely keep trying things do you can do get nutrition. One thought though, often the iron pills and vitamins will make you sick if you don't have enough food in your stomach. I had to switch to chewables for a while just to get them in and still allow me to eat. Then for my 2nd pregnancy pretty much all I could eat and not be sick was taco bell soft tacos. My midwife said sometimes its about survival more than content. I don't know if it helps but hopefully it will pass and you can try to make up for it later and eating excellent while breastfeeding.

Very good point, both the prenatals and the iron pills (I also have pregnancy anemia) make me sick to my stomach if I don't take them with some food.  

Maybe try something like making a smoothie?  Sometimes drinking is easier than eating, and you can add all sorts of healthy stuff to smoothies.  You can even toss in a cup of fresh spinach and not even be able to taste it.  How far along are you?  I pretty much had no appetite either till I got to the second trimester.

Junesmommy18
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM
Quoting TonyaLea:

Thanks mommas! I'm 16 weeks so I thought itd be gone by now :/ but the smoothie sounds good!
MELRN
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

you need protein     hormones initiate morning sickness but after about 14 days your body is adjusted... the loose and lac of replacement of protein and huge consumption by the body (to make your baby) is what actually causes continued morning sickness beyond 14 days  (or beyond week 12)-- the worst advice  doctors give pregnant people is to just sip fluids and eat crackers--it is the WORST advice ever--of course that is much more profit geared -so next they can prescribe you an antiemetic and make some $$ at your liver and your unborn baby liver cost...:)   even if you are notinto natural child birth there are 2 really great books  out there that give tons of great advice for pregnant mommies the first is The Bradley Method  by Robert a Bradley  the second is   Natural childbirth the bradley way by sue mcclucheon (Sp?)     these 2 books have sections exclusivly to eating right    and avoiding things like  hyperemesis,  PIH (yes that is a poor diet caused condition)  and diabetes (pregnancy induce)

they put the "what to eat when your expecting" to shame

Sunshine_246
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Protein carb combos definitely helped my sickness while just crackers made it worse. I will have to research more into the 14 day theory because I am sure that isn't a manic number that every woman's hormones regulate by. Just like 40 weeks isn't am magic baby ready date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

How far along are you?  During the first trimester especially, it's often about getting whatever you can get to stay down, down.  I lost 15 pounds in my first trimester of pregnancy, because I couldn't eat anything!  Do the healthiest that you can, but if you're taking your vitamins, that may be the best you can do for now.  

Junesmommy18
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 12:01 AM

16 weeks :)

Quoting TigerofMu:

How far along are you?  During the first trimester especially, it's often about getting whatever you can get to stay down, down.  I lost 15 pounds in my first trimester of pregnancy, because I couldn't eat anything!  Do the healthiest that you can, but if you're taking your vitamins, that may be the best you can do for now.  

Sunshine_246
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 2:29 AM
For clarification when are you saying hormones balance? Because 14 days and 12 weeks are not even close any way I count.
Also can you site some specific sources that I can read about this theory? I am a major natural pregnancy and birth advocate and information like this could be extremely useful.

Quoting MELRN:

you need protein     hormones initiate morning sickness but after about 14 days your body is adjusted... the loose and lac of replacement of protein and huge consumption by the body (to make your baby) is what actually causes continued morning sickness beyond 14 days  (or beyond week 12)-- the worst advice  doctors give pregnant people is to just sip fluids and eat crackers--it is the WORST advice ever--of course that is much more profit geared -so next they can prescribe you an antiemetic and make some $$ at your liver and your unborn baby liver cost...:)   even if you are notinto natural child birth there are 2 really great books  out there that give tons of great advice for pregnant mommies the first is The Bradley Method  by Robert a Bradley  the second is   Natural childbirth the bradley way by sue mcclucheon (Sp?)     these 2 books have sections exclusivly to eating right    and avoiding things like  hyperemesis,  PIH (yes that is a poor diet caused condition)  and diabetes (pregnancy induce)

they put the "what to eat when your expecting" to shame

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)