Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My 17 month old is like a peanut butter sponge. Ok or no?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

I know it is a fatty treat, but he likes to eat it plain. As is and he has no troubles getting it down with little to drink even! Im impressed by his appetite for the stuff but i dont want to give him too much. 

How much do you ladies think is too much? Once a day ok???

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TonyaLea
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM

My DD went through a stage like this, and toddlers do need a lot of fat.  The problem I have with it is the sugar and salt content, it is really high.  When she was going through her peanutbutter-aholic stage, I would buy the all-natural, sugar free, salt free brands (like Adams).  Add it to something like apple slices and you can pack in some extra nutrition with it too.

AngeLnChainZ
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Just be careful that he isn't eating too much at one time as it can pose a choking hazard.

I volunteer to save lives; What do you do?

3rd2bedue
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

Just be careful that he isn't eating too much at one time as it can pose a choking hazard.

No i monitor it, he wont choke!

3rd2bedue
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Quoting TonyaLea:

My DD went through a stage like this, and toddlers do need a lot of fat.  The problem I have with it is the sugar and salt content, it is really high.  When she was going through her peanutbutter-aholic stage, I would buy the all-natural, sugar free, salt free brands (like Adams).  Add it to something like apple slices and you can pack in some extra nutrition with it too.

Haha, yeah, i should look into a kind like that. I usually give them banana with it bc thats what they like best.

TonyaLea
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 3rd2bedue:
Quoting TonyaLea:

Haha, yeah, i should look into a kind like that. I usually give them banana with it bc thats what they like best.

Ooh, it is really good with banana too.  I sometimes will take wheat crackers and spread them with peanutbutter, and top it with a slice of banana...REALLY GOOD.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I think if you can find a brand w/ no added sugar or salt, like Tonya suggested,  it's fine. If they like peanut butter, you might try experimenting w/ some other nut butters. Almond butter is delicious and very good for you as well.

lilmomma232010
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

i wish my ds would eat peanutbutter, i love the stuff but i dont keep it in the house b/c im the only one that eats it

baby

Vertical15
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM

A typical toddler should have around 3 teaspoons of fats and oils per day. 

That said, 1/2 a tablespoon of most peanut butters has 1 teaspoon of fats/oils.  So depending on what other fats and oils he is getting I would go by this.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM

In moderation...

TerriC
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls still love peanut butter on a spoon.  They do that maybe once or twice a week.  I figure it's better than what they could choose to snack on.  =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN