Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Kale?

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok trying to introduce it to my home... supposed to be great veggie... I tried making yesterday and even I wouldn't eat it...  anyone out there have any ideas?  how do I make this taste good??

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TonyaLea
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM

The only thing I have done with Kale is use it for Mean Green Juice and then used the pulp in fettuchini alfredo.  Both were pretty good.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I have no idea because it's not something that's readily available here, but isn't it a lot like spinach?

TerriC
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Sauteed Kale

Ingredients

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.

batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:04 PM
Ingredients
1 head kale, washed and thoroughly dried
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt, for sprinkling
Directions
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 20 minutes. Serve as finger food.

This is how we do kale
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MELRN
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks ladies!!!  I'm going to get more kale

Vertical15
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I've never tried using it myself.  I'd be interested to try though.

Pamelachi
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

we make "kale wraps"

Spread kale leaves with peanut butter and sprinkle with raisins (kinda like ants-on-a-log). Then roll up.  My kids LOVE it.  (Though I had to call it "fancy lettuce" for my DD to try it)  I think they like it better than the lettuce wraps now because it's crunchier.  I think the sweetness of the raisins makes it taste less bitter.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

The trick w/ kale that I've learned is to get that nasty middle stem/vein out. For some reason that made all the difference. We've used it in wraps a few times. Mostly we juice it. Even in the juice I have to cut the center out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)