Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My son is ALWAYS sick, any tips?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hi, my son just turned 4 and he is pretty sickly. I'll give you the short version. A few years ago he had constant ear infections, he had his tubes put in and his adenoids removed last Feb. 2011, he was just about to turn three (his birthday is in April). He wasn't sick at all last year except for on ear infection. He wasin preschool early last year but we pulled him out so he wouldn't get sick before his surgery. He did not go back (bad day care, real dirty) so while I have been in school his father (laid off) was watching him so he didn't have to go back to that day care. So, I found him a new and (way) better preschool because my hubby is going back to work. The same week he started school he became very sick, fever, pink eye, ear infection, cough (still has this and were talking this started almost two months ago). After a week or two he was fine. Then we started him in Martial arts. He had to go for his four year check up and got his vaccines and I was told to give him allergy medicine for his cough because it was probably allergies. OK, so I started him on claritin, but he started to get sick again. He had a reaction to his shots (which he gets one every time he gets a shot) he had hives that took up his entire arm from the elbow up, pain and fever. So, I treated him for the fever, but he kept a low grade fever all week until Friday/Saturday ish. It spiked up to 104, until the doctor would see him on Wednesday. So that is 5 days with 104 fever that would stay down with medicine but if I was even an hour late giving him his Motrin/tylenol it would go strait back up.

So here is my question to you all, how do I keep him from being constantly sick? It seems like everytime I take him out of the house, weather to school or MMA he gets very sick. Am I doing something wrong here? I wash his hands all the time with soap (every time) and it just seems that hes always sick (And please don't tell me it's because he gets vaccines because I already get enough of that from my husbands family). Thanks for any tips! (sorry my short version of his medical history was so long, lol)

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Quote:

He had to go for his four year check up and got his vaccines and I was told to give him allergy medicine for his cough because it was probably allergies. OK, so I started him on claritin, but he started to get sick again. He had a reaction to his shots (which he gets one every time he gets a shot) he had hives that took up his entire arm from the elbow up, pain and fever. So, I treated him for the fever, but he kept a low grade fever all week until Friday/Saturday ish. It spiked up to 104, until the doctor would see him on Wednesday. So that is 5 days with 104 fever that would stay down with medicine but if I was even an hour late giving him his Motrin/tylenol it would go strait back up.

that is an adverse vaccine reaction and should have been reported to VAERS by YOU and his dr,  all along every time your child got vaccinated..what he experienced is NOT normal, and may have altered his immune system, which explains why he gets sick so often.  Maybe take him to an immunologist for a second opinion, and see what's going on, cuz his dr obviously ISN'T doing his job properly.

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

try4baby20
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:35 AM
He needs to b seen , something is wrong w his immune system
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gr8d8n3mom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:46 AM

I think an appt with the Immunologist is in order also. My YDD was a sick kid too, but hers was mostly ear inf. upper resp.,phenu. she had her toncils out and adnoids, and grew out of her sickies. Well except the allergy stuff.

Yours has something else going on, (I'm sure u give a daily vitamin, it cant' hurt ya know ;)

Jadegirl1819
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I am not anti-vax so doin't think I am bashing.  If my son had a reaction like that when he got shots then I would not get any more shots.  If my doctor couldn't fit my son in right away when he has a reaction to a shot then he would no longer be our doctor.

Allergies are awful right now.  My dd ends up with a awful sounding cough from the drainage.  In the past it has turned into bronchitis or a sinus infection.  They've also ended up with pink eye before with it.

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Quote:

(And please don't tell me it's because he gets vaccines because I already get enough of that from my husbands family)

did you ever stop to think about what they are saying just might have a little merit to it?  Suppose a second opinion suggests it could be the vaccines? 
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:59 AM

It sounds like his immune system is just not keeping up.  Have you done any allergy testing?  I would start testing him with food allergies, and if you don't see changes as you adjust his diet, then I would definitely start looking at other things that can affect an immune system.

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:00 AM

it could take a few months before she really sees any difference in his health by changing his diet,  and it sounds like she wants immediate relief from her son getting sick constantly.....unf, it doesn't work that way.  Allergy testing can be a total crock, and nothing more than a way for a dr to make more money with needless tests that don't prove much, and then allergy therapy that may or may not work.   I had allergy shots for 10yrs, and they atrophied the left side of my body, causing my left arm, and leg to be smaller and shorter and much weaker, leading to back problems, and have caused numerous other health problems for me as an adult.  

Quoting TigerofMu:

It sounds like his immune system is just not keeping up.  Have you done any allergy testing?  I would start testing him with food allergies, and if you don't see changes as you adjust his diet, then I would definitely start looking at other things that can affect an immune system.

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:22 AM

http://www.jsonline.com/features/health/number-of-whooping-cough-cases-continues-to-grow-in-milwaukee-9e569tf-149151645.html

Pertussis vaccine appears to be losing effectiveness

Evidence is mounting that a new vaccine is needed to protect against pertussis, as the number of cases in Milwaukee and elsewhere continues to grow among vaccinated children, a Milwaukee public health official said Thursday.

Milwaukee's largest outbreak of pertussis, also known as whooping cough, in recent years started earlier this month at a south side private school and grew this week to 31 confirmed cases, up from 17 last week.

Milwaukee's total number of confirmed pertussis cases so far this year - 84 - already has surpassed the 59 cases for all of last year, said Paul Biedrzycki, director of disease control and environmental health at the Milwaukee Health Department.

While school-age children tend to recover easily from the persistent cough and runny nose with a five-day course of antibiotics, pertussis is serious for infants and toddlers, Biedrzycki said.

More than 50% of infants who get pertussis require hospitalization, he said. The state reported one infant death linked to pertussis in February.

The bacterial illness has been simmering in pockets around the state for months.

Two Milwaukee Public Schools each have one confirmed case of pertussis in addition to 29 cases at St. Matthias Parish School, Biedrzycki said.

"It's out in the community now," he said.

More than 90% of children with pertussis in the current outbreak are up-to-date with their vaccinations, including the recommended booster between ages 11 and 12, Biedrzycki said.

"The current vaccine may not be effective for a long period of time," he said. "It may be that a series of boosters is needed, or a new vaccine. This doesn't speak so much to the effectiveness of vaccination programs as it does to the need for a new vaccine."

The vaccine given to young children was developed more than 20 years ago. A booster vaccine for preteens has been recommended since a large pertussis outbreak from 2004 to '05. During that outbreak, 1,400 confirmed cases were reported in Milwaukee alone.

Pertussis is contagious through airborne droplets when an infected person talks, sneezes or coughs.

Parents of school-age children may confuse the illness with a common cold but should see a doctor if the cough persists.

The Health Department urges parents to keep children home from school and events if they have a persistent cough and runny nose.

A majority of pertussis cases in the current outbreak are in the 11 to 14 age group, though some are as young as 8, Biedrzycki said.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Please, please, please look into adverse reactions to vaccines. They DO happen, and sound much like what you've described.

His immune system is not keeping up. It may be compromised from the vax reactions, or he may have an underlying condition, but there are things that you can do to help it out.
What is his diet like? His diet should be centered around whole foods, fruits and vegetables, with plenty of water to keep his system flushed. Minimum, and I do mean minimum sugar. Sugar weakens the immune system.

Vertical15
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

It could be vaccines, it could be allergies.  Both should be looked into by you AND his Drs.  I would talk to the Drs tell them your concerns and beg them to work with you.  If they don't then its time to find a new Dr.  At home you can make sure he is eating as healthy as possible, vitamins, etc.  Watch his reactions to foods. 

I'm sorry you are going through this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)