Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Drooler

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
My daughter will be 2 years old. She is a Big Drooler. I thought it was because she still sucked a paci. We took the paci away and she still drools like a faucet. Maybe because she has new teeth coming in, I don't know. But for two years straight constant drool. Any suggestions or insight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:13 AM

does she not know how to swallow her spit? maybe thats the problem....instead of swallowing it, she's letting it flow out of her mouth...i dunno if at her age,  if theres much of a way to make her aware that she needs to swallow and not let it just drool out of her mouth all over the place...maybe try pointing it out to her, next time you see it..take her to a mirror, and mimic her as well, showing her how to slurp it back into her mouth to swallow.  The other idea is, maybe her salivary glands just produce too much drool, and theres medication to help dry it up...i'd give it quite a while before going that route, tho...it could be teeth, or it could be her just not knowing how to control it. 

Keliceli
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Thanks! I do tell her she's drooling and then she closes her mouth or wipes her mouth. The last time I mentioned it to the doctor, she said it could be the pacifier or her teeth. I think she may be producing too much saliva though. It's nerve racking because she ruins all her clothes. I will definitely mention it again at her next doc appt. thanks again
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:31 AM

BY two most kids have stopped drooling, I thought.  I would definately bring it up to the Dr that you tried taking the paci and it didn't help.  Keep working with her and invest in some more bibs or cute scarves?

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I like the ideas that you've been given.  Sorry I don't have anything to add!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM

It's not especially uncommon. For some reason it seems to be more common in children w/ speech delays, but that is not always the case. Speech therapists address this issue in therapies.

I would just keep reminding him to swallow, and if it's still a problem after he turns 4, your ped may be able to give you a referral.

Keliceli
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Thanks again. She speaks pretty well I think for her age. We an actually hold a conversation. However, she doesn't anunciate her words. I'm not sure she knows how anyway at her age. I think at her next appt. I will ask the doc what she thinks about the speech therapy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

How is her speech?  Drooling is usually caused by low motor tone (mouth muscles are week) which can effect speech.  If her speech is delayed, get her evaluated by your state's early intervention program.  Evaluation is free.  If her speech is not delayed, you can probably do some things at home to help perk up those mouth muscles.  One of the easiest and most effective ways is to run by the everything-is-a-dollar store and get her an electric tooth brush.  Rub it across her cheeks, tongue, and lips.  Let her play with it/chew on it everyday.  Work with her on drinking thicker things thru a straw.  Milk shakes, yogurt, etc.. Work on her only putting a little bit of the straw in her mouth.  Low tone kids have a tendancy to put lots of the straw in their mouths - discourage that.  Remind her not to  bite the straw - she needs to use her mouth mucles to draw up the liquid.   Have her blow bubbles, use whistles recorders, and harmonicas to work those blow muscles.   After she does these activties you will probably noticed increased drooling for a half an hour or so - thats a good thing!   It means you are getting hte right muscles tired out.  :)  Stick with it, and after a few weeks you will notice the drooling improving.   Let your kiddo chew gum, eat chewing/crunchy/hard things too.  They also help.  :)  Good luck!    

karamille
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

ANother thought.... she may not be moving air thru her nose properly which would make her mouth breath.  Check on her at night and see if she's got her mouth open.  If she does, bring it up to her ped.  She may have enlarged adenoids.  If she continues to mouth breath at night, it an cause her jaw to grow too narrow and require loads of orthodonic work later. 

Keliceli
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Shes speaks pretty good, but doesn't anunciate well. But she's not two yet, she will be next week. I'm not sure Im not sure if its too early to tell. I will definitely try the excercises. I live in NYC. I'm going to look up the state agencies as suggested. Lately, she has been breathing with her mout open but her nose is stuffy because of allergies. I will definitely keep an I out on that one. Great information. Thank You!!!

Quoting karamille:

ANother thought.... she may not be moving air thru her nose properly which would make her mouth breath.  Check on her at night and see if she's got her mouth open.  If she does, bring it up to her ped.  She may have enlarged adenoids.  If she continues to mouth breath at night, it an cause her jaw to grow too narrow and require loads of orthodonic work later. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN