Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

concussions

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM
  • 4 Replies

Have any of your kids ever gotten a concussion? My nephew ran into a little girl on the playgound friday. The nurse called his mom because he was complaining that his head hurt, and he's not a complainer. Then called back 10 minutes later because he threw up. :(

She said he's doing well. He took a nap on the couch (while she watched his every breath) and did fine through the night. He seems to be feeling better today.

by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
karamille
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My 5 yr old is soo accident prone.  I can't tell you how many times that kid has gotten his melon whacked.  Basic rules to follow per our ped are:

make sure the pupils are equal and reactive to light,  If not - Go to the ER

puking once is fine - more than once not fine.  Go to the ER 

Its ok to let them sleep - its common for them to be very sleepy after a head bump.  The important part is that you check on them regularly to see if they can be stirred a bit from their sleep.  Touch them and see if they react.  if they move when you touch them, keep letting them sleep.  If they are slow to respond or not very responsive to touch, take them in ASAP to the ER.   

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Xandriasmommy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:40 AM
These are good rules of thumb. Also if their breathing becomes shallow or irregular. Go to the ER.

My dd is accident prone and has had a few.

Quoting karamille:

My 5 yr old is soo accident prone.  I can't tell you how many times that kid has gotten his melon whacked.  Basic rules to follow per our ped are:

Its ok to let them sleep - its common for them to be very sleepy after a head bump.  The important part is that you check on them regularly to see if they can be stirred a bit from their sleep.  Touch them and see if they react.  if they move when you touch them, keep letting them sleep.  If they are slow to respond or not very responsive to touch, take them in ASAP to the ER.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:46 AM

This is the information I have as well.

Quoting karamille:

TonyaLea
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD has had some pretty good head bumps, but nothing that ever gave her the signs that would make me take her to the doctor...other than once:   at around 1 year old she fell from a high distance straight onto her melon on a tile floor and was screaming bloody murder, and I was 5 minutes from our pediatrician that has after-hours urgent care.  She turned out to be fine though.  The nurse said screaming bloody murder was actually a pretty good sign that they are OK with a head bump (as long as they are consolable).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN