Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

How to keep my DD's Bowels moving properly

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi, My daughter has a bad habit of becoming constipated all the time, and now she is home for five days while we are treating her with ClearLax, 3 times a day to unpack her. She is an awful eater, and she is stubborn, and will just refuse to eat all together if I don't give her what she wants, and as a mom, I dont feel comfortable sending her to bed on an empty stomach.  Does anyone have any ideas on foods I can give her that will keep her bowels moving, and how I can disguise them etc. She would if she could just live off of Rice, Ra-men noodles, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, hot dogs (no bread) Ruffles cheese and sour cream potato chips, and chocolate milk.  She acts like im asking to cut her arm off if I even try to get her to eat anything other then that. Its been hell, So any advice you can give me would be great THAANK YOU so much!....BTW she is 5

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Your kids are adorable!

I have a picky eater, but thankfully she is pretty "regular".  My good eater is the one that gets constipated.  With her, I just make sure I have her do some sort of running around or physical movement every day and that has helped to get her going more regularly.  With my picky eater, the problem areas I had with her, I just stopped buying those things and gave her healthier choices.  Frozen grapes, any type of fruit.  Cut up veggies etc.  Those have been better snack options fo rher.

Good luck!  =)

Jadegirl1819
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM

You will need to give her Miralax (is clearlax the generic form?) for 3 months.  Our doctor explained it this way, the colon is a muscle, after it has been stretched out it takes time for it to get back to normal.  She says after a bad spell, like what your daughters in, then the person should use it daily for 3 months.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Make sure she's getting plenty of water. Dehydration is the leading cause of constipation.

Make sure the grains (rice & pasta) are whole grain. Try adding extras into her or along side her favorites. We add broccoli or peas into our mac and cheese and my 3 year old loves it. She's not going to suffer permanant damage if she goes to bed hungry one night. Make a dinner that combines some of her favorites and some new veggies. Chicken stir fry includes rice and chicken, which she likes, plus vegetables. If she doesnt go for it, make a deal. She has to try so much (3 bites?) and if she's really not into it, she can have an apple.

Dairy can be very binding, so I would eliminate milk for the time being, and limit it drastically even after she's cleared up.

Oh, and what Jadegirl said is right. Plan on being on the clearlax (or any non stimulant stool softener) for at least 3 months.

TonyaLea
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Very good advice above, I don't have anything else to offer really other than to stay away from the constipating foods like those in the BRAT diet (what they use for kids with stomach bugs): Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and white refined grains (like Toast).

Things she may like that help keep her regular are things like popcorn, nuts, dried plums, and fruit like peaches and pears. beans in things like chili, or real fruit smoothies.  

karisma22
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Does she like dried fruit?

TigerofMu
by Sonja on May. 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Lots of water, apples, anything with fiber.  What about bean burritos? Black beans and a whole grain tortilla...make your own chicken nuggets so you can control what goes in them...same with mac and cheese and other things. 

hwifeandmom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Since your daughter tends towards constipation, plan on her staying on the ClearLax long-term -- as long as she has the problem, even if it's years.  ClearLax (generic Miralax) is a stool-softening laxative and is safe for long-term, daily use.  (Stimulant laxatives are not safe for long-term use because the body becomes dependent on them, but stool-softening laxatives do not create that problem).  As her problem decreases, you can decrease the dosage, but don't stop using the meds too quickly. 

My son likes to snack on Kellogg's Cracklin Oat Bran cereal.  They're big, so they make a convenient finger-food snack and are high fiber.  When he eats it regularly, I don't have to give him his Miralax. Kraft has a version of mac-n-cheese that's made with cauliflower.  I think it has fiber, but I don't remember.  If your daughter eats bread, check for fiber content.  If you live where they sell Martin's Potato Bread, they make a soft bread that is yummy but high in fiber (white bread 2g/slice; wheat bread 4g/slice).

You can try making fruit smoothies in your blender.  If you use part frozen fruit, it makes the smoothie thick like a milkshake.  You can add some baby spinach for nutrition and fiber.  It makes the smoothie look like vomit, but you can't taste the spinach (unless you use a ton).  My kids' favorites are made with either canned peaches or frozen strawberries.

You can try fruit leather that's 100% fruit (Target has "Archer Farms" brand with 100% fruit).  You can make your own on a pan in the oven at home, and use part pumpkin to increase fiber and nutrition. 

I know that picky kids are all different, but these are some foods my sensory-challenged, picky kids liked.

HairClipQueen
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I hide bran in my girls stew/spaghetti sauces, anywhere It can't be detected.  whole grain food,  If she likes to snack on chips, I like to buy sunchips, or popcorn.  Fruit juices, smoothie (again hide pureed veggies or fruit, squash.  Water is good.  I know it can be a little boring at times,  get a plastic knife and watch her cut a lemon with help from mom and add to put in the water with an ice cube.  Let her do the work. baking is great to hid bran and veggies, throw in some chocolate chips too, ( I justify this by knowing chocolate is a natural laxitive, Hehehehe).  Dips; bean dips, hummus is a better option fiber and health wise before chips and dip.  There are good triscuit crackers or whole wheat goldfish crackers you can dip these into.  Expand her palate.  Also, she wont go hungry for long before she wants to try it, of course she'll make a fuss at first because it's new,  simply leave out the food and if she fusses, I would walkk away and ignore it, you'll see she will will around and start snacking on the healthy stuff!! Good luck mama!! *HUGS*

ETA: Baths usually relax children before bed. 9\10 they will have a bm after a tub or while soaking and rush out to use the toilet.

angelhart3
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM

They are so cute!!! Take the favorite foods out of sight and replace with like baby carrots, broccoli, apples, etc. Explain that we're all in this together to be healthier and stronger....helping each other. It's hard but its so worth it. Drinking lots of water and exercising. Now, I need to move in with you and do the same!!! LOL

Good luck!!!! 

ILoveMyBabies10
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Thank you Everyone for your input, im going to use all of your ideas! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)