Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Asthma rates at record high, CDC says- do your kids have asthma?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM
  • 17 Replies

Asthma rates at record high, CDC says

MyHealthNewsDaily.com

Asthma rates in the United States increased over the past decade to their highest level ever, according to a new government report. 

The portion of people in the U.S. with asthma rose from 7.3 percent in 2001 to 8.4 percent in 2010, according to the report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That means 25.7 million people had asthma in 2010, including 7 million who were younger than 18.

Over the same period, death rates from the condition dropped 33 percent. For every 10,000 people with asthma, there were 1.4 deaths in 2010, compared with 2.1 deaths in 2001.

The disorder has been linked with poverty, and the new findings showed that 11.2 percent of people living below the poverty level had asthma. However, asthma was also reported by 7.3 percent of those who earn at least twice the poverty level.

The findings also showed 9.2 percent of females had asthma in 2010, whereas the rate among males was 7 percent.

Asthma is a chronic airway disorder that can be triggered by exercise, infections, certain chemicals, airborne irritants such as tobacco smoke, or allergens such as pollen. During an asthma attack, the airway becomes obstructed because of inflammation and constriction of the surrounding muscles. It is not clear how to prevent asthma from developing, and there is no known cure, the CDC says.

The new findings are based on data gathered during the National Health Interview Survey, in which CDC researchers conducted household interviews with a nationally representative sample of participants.

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:44 AM

What isn't at a record high for kids nowadays?    i came from an affluent home and me and my 3 sibs have it..its also a genetic thing, and also where/how you live is to blame as well...just cuz someone is poor, is no reason to think a person will "come down" with asthma...

And back in the old days, asthma was thought to be an "imaginary" disease...my sister used to be locked away in her room, so my mom wouldn't have to hear her wheezing.  That's what the drs told parents to do back then in the 50's &60's..

Vertical15
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:51 AM

My boys don't have asthma though I've been warned my youngest is at a higher risk of developing it because he had pneumonia as an infant.

Vertical15
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Thats awful but it was what was done at the time.  Thank goodness times have changed!

Quoting emmy526:

And back in the old days, asthma was thought to be an "imaginary" disease...my sister used to be locked away in her room, so my mom wouldn't have to hear her wheezing.  That's what the drs told parents to do back then in the 50's &60's..

k11311
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

My kids don't have but their best  friend has.

emmy526
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

my son had it from 5mos old til he outgrew it at 12...he is now 16 and no sign of it anymore

taina361
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

everyody in my moms side has asthma including me. My daughter was hospitalized at 4 months for breathing problem.The doctor said that she might develop later on in life.I blame everyone in the family that smokes!!!specially my grandpa he even got bad lungs and cant even walk for 5 minutes without getting asthma

karamille
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Yes, mine do.  But I really think the stats are up do to better diagnosis.  Looking back, my husband and I both had asthma as kids, but neither of us were diagnosed.  My dad kept telling me out of I was out of shape and not conditioning because of my shortness of breath when I would run.  My husband woke up all the time coughing until he puked.  His mom said it was doing to because he didn't like to sleep.  Nobody took him to the dr for it.  So I really think better diangoses plays a big role in these statistics.  But you know what?  The earlier you find it and treat it, the better chance your child has of ourgrowing it.  I think the number of adults with asthma will be significantly lowever in the 15-20 years. 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

pinkcsmtlgy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:43 AM

My oldest has asthma.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I believe my brother had (and still does have) asthma, but our pediatrician treated for allergies and told my dad not to smoke inside.  I actually developed it as an adult after having bronchitis and pneumonia--the cough simply would not go away, though I didn't realize I was wheezing.  Mine is very mild compared to what some people deal with.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM
I have it and have since I was 6, I was hospitalized for the first time in my life from it in December. Wicked scary!

My son has it also but he was premature, intubated to receive surfactant, has bad allergies, had rsv at 9 months, and I have asthma. The drs said those were all factors in him developing asthma. His asthma has been labeled quite severe but we're starting to wean down meds finally! Yay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)