Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Toddlers. Healthy habits, healthy foods. What do you feed your toddler?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:49 AM
  • 11 Replies

Im just looking for new meal ideas for my very picky son.

An average day my son will eat

7-11am- Cereal ,Yogurt,bananas, crackers or Ritz crackers.

noon(lunch time) pizza pocket, or a grilled cheese or chicken nuggets

snacks can include through out the day; Ritz crackers, gold fish crackers, puffs,apple sauce,yogurt,bananas(only fruit so far he will eat).

Dinner. Pasta(with meat ) or a meat product and rice or noodlesa or some sort. Corn he eats, but broccolie never.

What do you guys feed your toddlers on average?

Any tips on meals you little ones love that are good and healthy?

Thanks!

CeliaB

by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Celia21
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:54 AM

bump 

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:01 AM
bump

crystalplus1
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:02 AM

My son eats everything, hes almost 1 i just put food on his tray and sit him down. Maybe try to add different things to his meals just put it on there for him and see if he trys it or not.  Put a veggie in his grilled cheese. Does he bug you for food when you eat? maybe just give him a few bites off your plate?

rfurlongg
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM
We vary quite a bit. Here is our menu for today:

Breakfast: Baked oatmeal with blueberries
Snack:Hummus and red bell peppers, yogurt and fruit smoothie.
Lunch: He doesn't generally eat much much,but here is the plan: almond butter and Jam sandwich and strawberries (he will probably have one bite of sandwich and all the strawberries)
Snack: whatever is left from his lunch, plus mangoes
Dinner: Portobello mushrooms, baked sweet potato fries, steamed broccoli, spinach salad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TonyaLea
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Toddlerhood is a hard time to get them to eat.  I would just give him a variety, don't let him get stuck in a rut.  

Mix up the fruit and make sure you are offering a whole rainbow of colors, the different colors mean different nutrients, so a variety makes sure you are getting a variety of nutrients.  He won't always eat them, but that is OK, don't stop offering.  

Same goes for veggies.  Corn is not a very nutritious veggie surprisingly, it is mainly starch.  How old is he?  Does he have enough teeth for raw veggies?  My daughter doesn't like cooked carrots or broccoli, but she loves eating them raw with ranch.  Again, just try offering lots of differnt things in lots of different forms till you find some he will eat.  You can mix veggies into meals too, like putting sliced tomatoes or spinach leaves on his grilled cheese or serving it with some low-sodium tomato soup.  

For dinner, serve him what the family is eating.  It is a good habit to start because that way he learns you won't cater to his pickiness.

sunshine86912
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM

how about some new veggies?  green beans? carrots?

PrincessZ20
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:13 PM

My kids eat whatever we eat, and have since pretty much the beginning.  It take take up to 10 times of being exposed to a food before they begin to like it, so keep offering! 

You can always try preparing foods in a different manner - adding cheese sauce to virtually anything results in my kids gobbling it up, lol. 

Vertical15
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM

My youngest (turned two in Jan) eats better then my 4yo.  He will actually eat almost everything I eat.  He isn't big on spinach though. 

It seems there is no average day around here.

Some breakfasts - oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, and fruit (cut up into edible slices, sometimes dipped into yogurt)

Lunches - dinner leftovers, sandwiches (he loves turkey) soups, I'm guilty of occasionally giving them chef boyardee type canned stuff on lazy days, tuna with some honey mustard on a pita, cut up veggies and some ranch or hummus.  Grilled cheese (you can add all sorts of goodies here) and tomato soup.

Dinners - chicken (usually baked), stir fried veggies are easy and you can play with the flavors-I love using coconut oil and some teriyaki and the kids eat it up, pasta is a good fall back though my 4yo doesn't eat any sauce on it so I try not to make it too often.  Homemade pizza-I will cheat and use boboli crust or thaw frozen dough and I like to puree veggies into the sauce and use different cheese depending on my mood and what I have in the fridge.

My 2yo LOVES cauliflower - I chop it up and sprinkle with some olive oil and pepper and bake it then sprinkle some parmesan cheese.  I love it too :)

Vertical15
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

When all else fails I make smoothies with fruit and veggies to get those extra nutrients in.

new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Quoting Vertical15:

When all else fails I make smoothies with fruit and veggies to get those extra nutrients in.

We also did a lot of smoothies and used our juicer a lot when DS was going through his super picky phase.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN