Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

HELP! My son picks his Diaper and puts it in his ear!

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son has always had a thing for fuzz, it started with him eating his blankets. Now everyday, almost all day he is putting fuzzy things in his ear. His diapers are the biggest issue. He will stuff his ears full! I am always picking it out through out the day! Has anyone else had a similar problem? I can not find answers or help! I don't want him to hurt his ears, or me hurt them :c( I NEED HELP!!!!! I keep having to take him to the ENT and ER!

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karamille
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Does he have allergies or repeat ear infections?  I remember as a kid during allergy season my ears would itch way deep down in there.  I almost felt like if I rubbed my tongue inside my mouth in the direction of my ear, it would help alieve that deep itch.  That was back in the day when the only antihistamine choice was benadryl which knocked you out, so most of the time I just suffered.  :P 

I suppose if all else failed you could get him one of those head guards wrestlers wear to protect their ears.  That should keep him from stuffing stuff in there! 

EDIT - hey another thought...  I wonder if he's sound sensitive.  Some kids are.  he might be trying to mute what he hears.  Maybe if YOU put cotton balls in his ears, he wouldn't try to stick anything else in there. 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Citygall85
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:28 PM

He does have allergies :c( and is also sensitive to sound. My only thing is that it is everyday all day.Not just during allergy season. I have held off on me putting anything in his ears because I am scared he will think it's OK and then putdifferent items in his ear, I do feel as I am kinda lucky that he only puts fuzz in there right now. He also is Developmentally Delayed and has Behavior Issues and I wonder if the docter are missing something

new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Yea, it does sound like he's doing it for relief from something.

How old is he? Could he wear ear muffs around the house?
What if YOU put some cotton balls in his ears? You could make sure it's not put in too far, and it's big enough to pull out easily. Aleviate the problem before it starts. Would he leave it alone? Or keep putting more in? My older sister has VERY sensitive ears and anytime we go outside on a semi-windy day she puts 1/2 cotton balls in her ears, or she ends up w/ an ear infection.

emmy526
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM

how about using cloth diapers and putting earplugs in so he can't shove anything in there?

TerriC
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM

My thoughts were allergies or sound sensitivity.  Looks like that's what others have said too.  I hope you get it resolved!  =)

sunshine86912
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM
The earmuffs are a good idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on May. 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I have a daughter who will pick one piece of fuzz from her blanket and swirl it around on the end of her nose when she is sleepy, but that's a new one.  Do his ears hurt?  Is he putting the filling in them to relieve some kind of pressure or comfort himself?

Vertical15
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I think what the others said pretty much was all I could think of.  Have you tried cloth diapers?  I use them and they certainly can't pick at them.

LostTheSlipper
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Quoting karamille:

Does he have allergies or repeat ear infections?  I remember as a kid during allergy season my ears would itch way deep down in there.  I almost felt like if I rubbed my tongue inside my mouth in the direction of my ear, it would help alieve that deep itch.  That was back in the day when the only antihistamine choice was benadryl which knocked you out, so most of the time I just suffered.  :P 

I suppose if all else failed you could get him one of those head guards wrestlers wear to protect their ears.  That should keep him from stuffing stuff in there! 

EDIT - hey another thought...  I wonder if he's sound sensitive.  Some kids are.  he might be trying to mute what he hears.  Maybe if YOU put cotton balls in his ears, he wouldn't try to stick anything else in there. 

I was going to suggest some sort of headgear as well. Hehe.

Citygall85
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

He just turned 3 on April 25th.  I have asked doctors and everyone for help and nothing seems to help        he refuses to wear stuff on his ears like head phones or anything. I am going to take him to the ENT on Monday again and ask for answers and make them check his ears for answers to maybe why he is doing this! Thanks for all the advice and comments ladies!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN