Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

HELP! My son picks his Diaper and puts it in his ear!

Posted by   + Show Post

My son has always had a thing for fuzz, it started with him eating his blankets. Now everyday, almost all day he is putting fuzzy things in his ear. His diapers are the biggest issue. He will stuff his ears full! I am always picking it out through out the day! Has anyone else had a similar problem? I can not find answers or help! I don't want him to hurt his ears, or me hurt them :c( I NEED HELP!!!!! I keep having to take him to the ENT and ER!

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Replies (11-13):
corrinacs
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I like what she had to say.  Either way, I'd take him to the doctor to make sure nothings going on further.  And teaching him that putting things in his ears is a no no.

Quoting karamille:

Does he have allergies or repeat ear infections?  I remember as a kid during allergy season my ears would itch way deep down in there.  I almost felt like if I rubbed my tongue inside my mouth in the direction of my ear, it would help alieve that deep itch.  That was back in the day when the only antihistamine choice was benadryl which knocked you out, so most of the time I just suffered.  :P 

I suppose if all else failed you could get him one of those head guards wrestlers wear to protect their ears.  That should keep him from stuffing stuff in there! 

EDIT - hey another thought...  I wonder if he's sound sensitive.  Some kids are.  he might be trying to mute what he hears.  Maybe if YOU put cotton balls in his ears, he wouldn't try to stick anything else in there. 

So proud of all I have....My big boy Caden and my little Leo.

Citygall85
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Update. We went to te ENT, he said he has no idea why he i doing this, seems to be nothing wrong with his ears. He said he would not suggest putting anything is his ears, which I was against putting anything in them anyways. He also said he has never seen a child go to the extreme with putting stuff in their ears which kinda bothers me. So we will see... So I am still at the same spot as before. Even if I put him in cloth diapers he will pick the carpet or anything else he can get his hands on. We are working on getting the carpet taken out of his room though :c) I guess the upside to this is he only puts fuzzy stuff in his ears and doc said he is really not concerned as fuzz should not cause any problems. I am not sure how I feel about that though. I would think that if he gets some far enough down were I can not get it. It would collect water, ear wax and bacteria and cause an infection. AHHHH I dunno!

PrincessZ20
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Quoting Vertical15:

I think what the others said pretty much was all I could think of.  Have you tried cloth diapers?  I use them and they certainly can't pick at them.

That's what I was going to suggest!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN