Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

MRSA at my daycare

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM
  • 10 Replies

I got a notice today when I dropped my 3 yo DD off at daycare that "someone" from the daycare (doesn't specify child or teacher) had been diagnosed with a MRSA infection.  It doesn't give any specifics other than general MRSA information, such as a child with MRSA may be allowed to remain in daycare if the infection can be bandaged, kept dry, and the bandage does not need to be changed at daycare.  

It sounds like they cleaned the school top to bottom as well just to be safe, and are practicing extra hand washing on top of what they normally do.  Still...kinda disconcerting.

bad

Have any of you ever had kids exposed to anyone with MRSA?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 7, 2012 at 5:17 PM
I am of no help here.
Sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on May. 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Yes.  Our neighbor was actually a MRSA carrier.  He had a dormant infection that would raise its ugly head anytime he was injured or ill.  He was in the ER and hospitalized many times when it would flare up again. 

new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I think I posted around Thanksgiving that my niece has had several MRSA infections over the past year. DS has been exposed to her several times, although not while she was actively infected. He hasnt had any problems.

She, apparently, was a carrier. Because she's a college student and was just going to urgent cares, none of the doctors knew she had it several times. Her mom finally took  her to her own doctor, who perscribed a 6 month cycle of antibiotics and it seems to have done the trick.

TonyaLea
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting new_mom808:

I think I posted around Thanksgiving that my niece has had several MRSA infections over the past year. DS has been exposed to her several times, although not while she was actively infected. He hasnt had any problems.

She, apparently, was a carrier. Because she's a college student and was just going to urgent cares, none of the doctors knew she had it several times. Her mom finally took  her to her own doctor, who perscribed a 6 month cycle of antibiotics and it seems to have done the trick.

I do remember you posting that about Thanksgiving.  

It is really kinda worriesome with a group of little kids that don't always keep their "bodily fluids" to themselves.  I can only hope that they are taking as many precausions as necessary with the infected person.  I actually kinda hope it is one of the teachers, because they are more able to take care of their infection/germs.

zannahdeux
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

BUMP!

emmy526
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM

yes, actually that and staph can be all over at any given time, anywhere....

PrincessZ20
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

DH had it about a year and a half ago.  The infection was on his knee, so it was easy to keep covered and clean.  There were no problems at all with anyone else getting it.

My understanding is that pretty much everyone has staph/MRSA on them, but it just usually doesn't do anything unless you get the perfect circumstances, like an open wound coming in contact with the germs. 

So really, I'd imagine it to be pretty safe, especially if they're taking the proper precautions and keeping the wound covered.

PrincessZ20
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Oh, and when DH had MRSA, they gave him oral antibiotics first, before they got the confirmation that it was MRSA, then once they got the positive results back they gave him an antibiotic cream to rub on the inside of his nose a few times a day for a week or two.  It was super easy to get rid of.

Vertical15
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yea, thats still scary.  I'm sure we've been exposed to it since my husband is at multiple hospitals everyday he works, though we've never been exposed to it like that.

Daeraelle
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Everyone has staph living on their skin. Some people come into contact with MRSA, and it lives there and stays. Your child has just as much risk of coming into contact with it at a park, a grocery store, or a playground at a fast food joint. As long as proper precautions are taken everything should be fine. However, I would think an active infection would be treated at a hospital. By the time a patient is released from the hospital, they shouldn't be contagious.

DH and I have a friend that got a MRSA infection in an ingrown hair on his leg that he had picked at. He was in the hospital for over a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)