Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Advice Please!!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hey everyone I'm Carrie...new to the group..I have a son who will be 4 next month and on and off for months now hes had a horrible cough..hes been treated for ear infections and such during the time since before winter started..and lately he goes outside and has a clear runny nose and has been having a really deep hard cough which of course freaked me out..thinking croup or whopping cough or something but i took him to the drs today and his chest sounded clear but when the dr looked up his nose she said it was swollen and thinking he has allergies..and put him on 1 tsp of Claritin once a day and if by next week the cough doesn't go away to call..1 thing i wasn't told after reading it online is to give at bedtime ....i gave it to him @ 1pm today and he fell asleep at 4:30pm which he doesn't really take naps and now here it is 8:47pm and hes still asleep and wont get up..i got him up for maybe a 1 minute talking but fell back asleep...anyone else have their kids on this medicine and had sleeping like this? and also the side effects Ive read with it some kids can develop tics and violent outbursts and hallucinate...and it kinda freaks me out...so any input would be great thanks!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I dont know if it's normal to sleep that long or not. Does he rouse when you try to wake  him?

Honestly, I would try a more natural route before going the claritin route. A nettie pot and some stinging nettle is where I would start.

TonyaLea
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I took claritan as a child (not 4 though, I was school age).  It would make me sleepy but it was the only medicine we found that didn't knock me out completely.  I don't think it is too much to worry about.  You could lower the dose or just make sure to give it to him at bedtime next time, or both.  Maybe call your doctor just to be sure.

It kinda sounds like he might have had bronchitis that is being worsened now by allergies now that it is spring.  I had bronchitis for a couple months this winter myself.  

xCaRrIe3137x
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah he end up sleeping from 4:30pm yesterday afternoon until 4am this morning...12 hours!! and he is actually in a good mood this morning! =)

PrincessZ20
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Quoting xCaRrIe3137x:

Yeah he end up sleeping from 4:30pm yesterday afternoon until 4am this morning...12 hours!! and he is actually in a good mood this morning! =)

Sounds like he just needed the sleep!  I'd imagine that after being sick for so long that his body just took advantage of the opportunity to reat :)

How's he doing now?

Vertical15
by Vanessa on May. 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM

My 4yo takes claritin but it doesn't do that to him.  I've always given it to him first thing in the morning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)