Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Community volunteering

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM
  • 22 Replies

I participated in the coolest volunteer project this weekend. My sister's church planted over 200 mobile gardens in the inner city.
We used garden socks (http://www.gardensocks.com/Directions.html )

Each recepient received 8 socks.
2 beefsteak tomato plants
1 red cherry tomato plant
1 yellow cherry tomato plant
2 spinach (seeds)
1 zucchini (seed)
1 wax pepper plant
1 bell pepper plant
2 basil plants
4 collards (seeds)
4 lettuce (seeds)
2 green bean (seeds)

They also got to keep the leftover green bean, lettuce and spinach seeds so they can re-plant for a second harvest, and a watering can. They also recived a cook book w/ recipes for their new fresh vegetables, and a growing guide.

The socks are really cool and will last for 2 years. There were 4 people in my team and we got 8 gardens delivered and planted in about 4 hours.

What types of volunteer activities do you enjoy?

by on May. 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessZ20
by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Oh, what a neat project!

My kids are still too young to do much at this point, but we plan to be active in our community when they're older. 

In the meantime, though, we're working on ways to help others.  For Alex's 5th birthday in January, he asked his friends to bring stuff to donate to the local animal shelter instead of gifts.  He collected a TON of stuff!  It was great to see how good he felt about himself when we dropped it all off :)

TigerofMu
by Sonja on May. 14, 2012 at 12:43 AM

That's very cooL!  We work with our local food bank and community outreach center.  Helping to start a youth and children's program this summer, and helping get the community garden up and running.

new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 14, 2012 at 7:41 AM

What a cool idea!! He wasnt terribly disappointed not to get presents?

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Oh, what a neat project!

My kids are still too young to do much at this point, but we plan to be active in our community when they're older. 

In the meantime, though, we're working on ways to help others.  For Alex's 5th birthday in January, he asked his friends to bring stuff to donate to the local animal shelter instead of gifts.  He collected a TON of stuff!  It was great to see how good he felt about himself when we dropped it all off :)

new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I know that food bank keeps you pretty busy. How is the cmty outreach center going?

Quoting TigerofMu:

That's very cooL!  We work with our local food bank and community outreach center.  Helping to start a youth and children's program this summer, and helping get the community garden up and running.

capefearmom
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Oh, what a neat project!

That is awesome!! You should be proud of your son!

PrincessZ20
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM

No, I was pleasantly surprised!  A few of his friends still got him something small, like a Matchbox car, in addition to the animal stuff.  And the people at the shelter made a big fuss over him and gave him a bunch of swag from fundraising evens (like a frisbee, a calendar, a foam finger, etc), and I think that helped as well.  And of course, he still got presents from family. 

I'm hoping this is something we can do every year, especially since the newness hasn't worn off Christmas presents by the time his birthday rolls around, lol. 

Quoting new_mom808:

What a cool idea!! He wasnt terribly disappointed not to get presents?

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Oh, what a neat project!

PrincessZ20
by on May. 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Quoting capefearmom:

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Oh, what a neat project!

That is awesome!! You should be proud of your son!

Thank you, we are :)  He's a very special little boy <3

Vertical15
by Vanessa on May. 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Neat!

We mostly do donation of food/clothing but when the kids are older I'd like to do more.

TonyaLea
by on May. 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I used to do quite a bit with the community garden.  We raise crops specifically for the food bank and everyone helps take care of them and harvest (greenbeans and a half acre each of corn and potatoes).  There are also donation bins that people can put excess produce from their own plots into and we take turns taking it to the food bank a few days a week.  I didn't renew my membership this year though, I didn't figure I would have enough time with the baby on the way.

TerriC
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Alex sounds like quite a wonderful young man!  That is awesome!

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Oh, what a neat project!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)