Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

ER visits

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM
  • 19 Replies

What was your last visit to the ER or urgent care facility with your child for?

by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TonyaLea
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
We have only gone once to our pediatrician's after-hours care, because she was little and fell and hit her head, she was fine though. I am a firm believer in using her doctor for everything that is not life threatening.
PrincessZ20
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM

We've never had an ER visit, thank goodness.  Carter was thoughtful enough to break his arm during office hours so we were able to see our pedi instead of going to the ER.  We have had to go to the pedi's weekend office for a particularly nasty ear infection once, but that's about it.

I went to the ER with a friend once (her husband was out of town and her baby might have swallowed a pill, so poison control told her to take the baby in).  I'm not a germaphobe, but that experince gave me the heebie jeebies!  So if I'm ever debating on going, I think I'll wait, lol - unless it's life threatening, of course.

funhappymom
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

We've only been there twice...once my son cut his hand and we weren't sure if he'd need stitches or not. It was crazy busy that evening and it was a long wait to find out that all he needed was butterfly bandaids. :-/

The other time he fell and hit his head and the school nurse was worried about a concussion so I called his doc and they said just to head to the ER. We went to find out he was ok.

We try not to go to the ER either but when you call the doc says go.... :-/

bamababe1975
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM

An injured toe we thought might be broken - she kicked her sister while playing "Ninja."

NoahsCoolMama
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM

We went to the Urgent Care for Strep Throat with my son about a month ago. We would not go to ER unless it is a true emergency. We did got to the ER this past weekend with my husband. His appendix ruptured. Definitely an emergency!!!

kittenmom001
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM
The last one wasa little over a month ago. We first when to the doctors because she was sick had a cough and was making her breathing issues even more difficult ( we didn't see her normal ped) we were told to go to the er just for some X-rays but everything was fine. It didn't feel right to me. X-ray came out normal, till didn't feel right to me. They called that doc back and he said go home with steroids. Still didn't feel right I had them call her normal ped ( my dd can be complicated she knows her the best) she had us admitted in the doctors there waked out and sent us to the icu at a children's hospital. So I believe use your own doctor not someone who dosent know your child. Two weeks ago we were there at the same hospital again unless it is a true emergency I don't go to the er I always go to the doctors first. Once my ped had us In an ambulance ride to the er! Terrifying!
new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Just the battery incident when he was an infant.

PrincessZ20
by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

We went to the Urgent Care for Strep Throat with my son about a month ago. We would not go to ER unless it is a true emergency. We did got to the ER this past weekend with my husband. His appendix ruptured. Definitely an emergency!!!

Yikes!  I hope he's okay!

karamille
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM

My kids are 5 and 3 - both with asthma - and we have NEVER had an ER vist.  We dealt with our kids asthma when it first showed up, got a plan of action in place, and the right meds in the house.  So far, we haven't had an attack that we weren't equipped to handle. 

Vertical15
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The last visit was for my 2yo when he stuck a popcorn kernal up his nose.  I know they say he is too young for popcorn.  And I learned my lesson.  I make sure they don't get any kernals now LOL

Oh and it must have passed down his throat after sitting and waiting and then getting in we couldn't find it anywhere.  Figures.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN