Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Today is National Cherry Cobbler Day!

Posted by   + Show Post

May 17, 2012 is

National Cherry Cobbler Day

Today is National Cherry Cobbler Day! Cherry cobbler is a baked dessert made with a rich fruit filling and a biscuit dough crust. In the 19th century, pioneers in the American West were forced to adapt many recipes due to a lack of basic ingredients. The traditional pie evolved into the cobbler, which was often served as the main dish of the meal!

No one knows how cobblers got their name, but there are several theories. One source suggests that the word “cobbler” evolved from “cobeler,” which was a specific type of wooden bowl used in cooking. Other culinary historians believe the name may have been inspired by the dessert’s resemblance to a cobblestone.

To celebrate National Cherry Cobbler Day, bake your own delicious cobbler and serve it as the main course for dinner tonight!

Will you be making a cobbler today?  Have you made one recently? 

Share pics or recipes!

by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Replies (11-16):
Vertical15
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I"m not a huge fan of cherries but I'll eat them on occasion.

Quoting batjmom:

The things i learn on cafemom... :)

Not much of a cherry fan. 

Vertical15
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Fresh cherries are the best!

Quoting TonyaLea:

LOL, true.  I only like fresh cherries....I would LOVE some other kind of cobbler though :)

Quoting batjmom:

The things i learn on cafemom... :)

Not much of a cherry fan. 

Vertical15
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Me too and we are going on vacation this weekend so we've been just using what we have around instead of buying more food so my cupboards are pretty bare!

Quoting amonkeymom:

Yum!  Wish I had the ingredients to make one.

Vertical15
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM

It does look awesome, and easy which is always a win for me!  LoL

Quoting new_mom808:

This looks awesome. It's going on my menu for next week :)

Quoting Vertical15:

Found this (here-http://www.mediatinker.com/blog/2008/02/vegan-cherry-cobbler.html) -

vegan-cherry-cobbler.jpg

Last Thanksgiving my sister made us a raw cherry cobbler that was out of this world. Today I saw a jar of sour cherries at the supermarket and bought it, hoping that I could replicate the cobbler at home. What I ended up with isn't quite what Jenn served us, since hers used dates and I didn't have any, but it is truly good and worth sharing.

This is recipe not raw food, because the cherries are heat treated when they are jarred. If you wanted to be properly raw, you would use frozen cherries, thawed.

Vegan Cherry Cobbler
serves 4

crumb layer
1 cup coconut
1 cup mixed walnuts and almonds
3 prunes
4 dried apricots

Process everything until crumbly. Set aside.

fruit layer
2 cups jarred sour cherries, drained very well
2 prunes
6 dried apricots
dash of cinnamon
dash of cardamom
honey or sugar (optional)

Process everything until smooth or only slightly lumpy. Sour cherries can be a bit too sour, so sweeten to taste with honey or sugar.

Layer the fruit and crumb mixtures into clear glasses for a fancy individual presentation, or make a big bowl for family style pig-out.

deedee3849
by on May. 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

wow, that sounds good.

vixen42
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM

bring some too me please

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)