Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My boss brought his daughter to work today because she has chicken pox!

Posted by   + Show Post

OMG!  How can he allow this?  Everyone here has children and not all our children have been exposed to the virus.  He KNOWS I have an 80-90 percent chance of getting shingles again if I'm exposed to the virus.  I had severe shingles several years ago and missed almost 4-5 month of work.  It bothers me that he never takes his employees health into consideration when his kids are sick.  He's brough them in with pink eye, the hand, foot and mouth disease, and who knows what else!  I've lost vision (electicity ?) in my left eye, and still suffer some damage when I had it on my face.  UGH!  I guess this is my week of venting! 

by on May. 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
teatyme007
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM

He makes more money than anyone in the company.  He should be paying us when we have to bring his kids germs home to our kids.  But instead I have to use a sick day when my kid gets sick.  I'm gonna start bringing my sick kid to work!  Just kidding.  Don't normal people stay home with their kids when they're sick?  I really wonder what's in his crazy little mind sometimes. 

Quoting karamille:

Maybe you all should take up a collection to help him pay for a sitter

emmy526
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM

i don't know where you got your info, but ANYTHING can reactivate the varicella virus, causing an outbreak of shingles..yes, even being around someone who has pox can re-activate the virus if the persons immune system is not strong.  Stress, another illness, and  being immunocompromised can trigger shingles as well.  

Who the OP should call is the health dept and see if anything can be done about his bringing contagious children to the workplace.  It's a health hazard to the whole company.

Quoting MELRN:

your boss is gross.  but you can't get shingles from exposure to someone with chicken pox.... a person with shingles CAN give  someone who's never had VSV (chicken pox )  the chicken pox  but it does not work in reverse......  if you have bad shingles it was from prior exposure to varicella...and stress causes the out break  

cant you call the labor board? 

Choosing Not to VaccinateChoosing Not to Vaccinate-proud group owner

Vertical15
by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Wow that is just awful, does he want his employees to miss work?!

captainjack
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

OMG who does this??

TigerofMu
by Sonja on May. 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

That is horrible!  I would definitely contact the health department or somebody that could say something.  In the meantime, steer clear and carry wipes to wipe down everything you come in contact with before you use it!

dandersen
by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

it doesnt matter if he is the owner. he is not allowed to expose his employees to illness on purpose. you can call OSHA, there is suppoesed to be a poster for them posted in EVERY workplace, and you can go get the number from one at a gas station or any other store if you havent got one at your place of employment. IF he wants to continue to bring his sick children in to work (with anything other than a cold or maybe flu) then he has to call the employees ahead of the childs arrival, and the employees are to be allowed a paid day off if they choose not to be there with the sick child

Elle.tea.22
by on May. 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I would put it in writing as inappropriate and unprofessional give give him a copy and make him sign your copy as if he received it.
teatyme007
by on May. 19, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Obviously.  I left at at 1, but I'm not clocking myself out til 4 or 4:30.  I don't think he stand being home with his own kids!  But he's mid 50's and has a 5 and 6 year old. 

Quoting Vertical15:

Wow that is just awful, does he want his employees to miss work?!

teatyme007
by on May. 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I will definitely check out whats posted in the shop.  Thanks for the info!  I wouldn't have thought of OSHA regulations!

Quoting dandersen:

it doesnt matter if he is the owner. he is not allowed to expose his employees to illness on purpose. you can call OSHA, there is suppoesed to be a poster for them posted in EVERY workplace, and you can go get the number from one at a gas station or any other store if you havent got one at your place of employment. IF he wants to continue to bring his sick children in to work (with anything other than a cold or maybe flu) then he has to call the employees ahead of the childs arrival, and the employees are to be allowed a paid day off if they choose not to be there with the sick child

vixen42
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

thats ridiculous what if most of his employees have never had chicken pox? besides if one got it then they could take it home too their family on and on,it could spread quickly.sounds like he is too cheap too spend money on a babysitter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)