Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

What do you do when your kid gets a tick on them?

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

We have wood ticks like crazy..... Do you know of a good way to remove them?

by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jillysmom
by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

you can smother them with alcohol if not near your childs face or other areas

hwifeandmom
by on May. 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM

What do I do when my kids get a tick? Freak out a bit.  They're so disgusting!  My kids have had ticks a few times.  Usually at home, rather than when camping.

The CDC (Center for Disease Control) says to use a pair of tweezers and pull on the tick until it comes out.  Here's their info http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

My experience is that ticks hold pretty tight, so you have to tug steadily for a bit.  You don't want to pull too hard all at once, though, or you risk breaking off the head.

Use a good repellent with DEET or picaridin to avoid ticks.

Momforhealth
by on May. 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Put tea tree oil on them.

homextownxgirl
by on May. 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Well we r from the hills in a small town.. And we pull the little suckers off and then burn them... And put alcohol on the place u pull it off of if it leaves a mark..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by Member on May. 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Put Vaseline on them, they suffocate and slip right off. Just had to do this for my son.
PrincessZ20
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I think I remember reading that you should put lotion on them.

We've only had one tick in the past few years, and I didn't even realize it was a tick until after I'd pulled off a crawly creature and looked at it! 

new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM

when I got them as a kid we struck a match, blew it out and put the hot matchstick on their back. They pulled their head right out and we took them off w/ tweezers

JadedFaerie
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Metho.

karamille
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Actually there is a correct way to remove them.  As soon as you see it - go get a pair of tweezers, grab close to its head and, pull it off fast. If the head stays behind - its fine.  Your body will push it out like a splinter in a day or two.  DO NOT try to smother it, try to get it to release, try to kill it with alcohol or any other substance.  How you get diseases from ticks is when they regurgitate their stomach contents into your skin.  When you stress the tick out, it regurgitates.  So all those old wives tails about burning them, smothering them, etc.. are increasing your risk of catching a tick borne illness.  So remember - to stress them, get your tweezers and pull them fast and firm.  I know leaving their head behind seems creepy, but its totally fine and not going to increase your chance of contracting an illness

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

illinoismommy83
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Grab it with tweezers and watch for symptoms. We just had a 5 year old die in my area last week from a tick. I hate ticks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN