Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

ASAP: Should I send her to bed hungry??

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM
  • 27 Replies

I have a 3 yr old DD who has been a challenge to get to eat anything.  There are times when all she wants to eat all day is bread or crackers or grapes.   Today, all she wanted were Doritos.  I told her no.  She had to eat something else.  I prepared her a grilled cheese sandwich with grapes.  I put it on the table for her and told her that if she didn't eat it, she wasn't going to get anything else all day.  (this is new for me since I have never done this before).  She picked at it for a while.  I went to change my 4 mo DS pamper and when I got back she had thrown her food in the trash and put her plate in the sink!  WTH!!!  I asked her why she did that and she said, "I didn't want it."  I know she didn't do it out of rebellion.  In her mind, she just didn't want it and threw it in the trash, but I must admit that I lost it.  I sent her to her room.  I didn't know what to do!  I had told her that if she didn't eat that she wasn't going to get anything else...so now what???

I cooled down and she came out of her room and she asked me for a hot dog bun...just the bun.  I told her no.  She burst out crying.   I still didn't give it to her.  I made her chicken nuggets and put them on a plate in the kitchen.  She didn't touch them.  My DH comes home and she still didn't eat them.  It's bedtime now and she still hasn't eaten and she's asking me for her milk.  What should I do????

by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starreyedcutie
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Me personally I'd say finish the nuggets if you want milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I asked hubby and he says "Get her some milk but no food." I agree with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get the milk for her and save the nuggets for tomorrow.  We had to teach dd if she didnt want to eat something to let us know and we would wrap it up for another time.  Hate wasting food.

LadyBugMom09
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM

My husband says to give her the milk too.... I feel like I'm giving in...or is this one of those "pick your battles" type of things?

LadyBugMom09
by on May. 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I guess I'm going to give her the milk and save the nuggets for tomorrow.  I'm seriously lost in this topic.  A friend of mine told me that she wouldn't starve herself, but I seriously can't get her to eat anything besides bread, crackers, chips, grapes.... and sometimes she won't eat until like 11am or 1 pm!  (She has milk in the mornings and I try to get her to eat an egg or something...sometimes she does, others she doesn't.)  Should I just take away her milk in the morning?

HairClipQueen
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

when my girls pulled something like that I gave them water.  In the am they would be hungry enough to eat their meals.  Good luck mama!

new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

I guess I'm going to give her the milk and save the nuggets for tomorrow.  I'm seriously lost in this topic.  A friend of mine told me that she wouldn't starve herself, but I seriously can't get her to eat anything besides bread, crackers, chips, grapes.... and sometimes she won't eat until like 11am or 1 pm!  (She has milk in the mornings and I try to get her to eat an egg or something...sometimes she does, others she doesn't.)  Should I just take away her milk in the morning?

I like the idea of saving the nuggets for tomorrow.
In the future, I like the suggestion of giving only water unil she eats something (besides bread).
My son also prefers bread first thing in the am. I usually make him a slice of toast or two, then later (around 9:00) his babysitter makes a real breakfast. On the weekend, of course, I make a later breakfast for him. LOL

As long as it's something you know she likes, I would wait it out. If it's new, or something that she hasnt liked in the past, I would insist on 3 bites, then she can have something else (that you choose). When my son gets that way, after his 3 bites I usually give him a carrot and an apple. It's healthy, and I dont feel like I cooked 2 meals because he's being picky.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
She won't starve herself. She needs to learn to eat what you give her, period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:50 PM

this is on reason im glad  i still BF DD ( she is only 2 tho) kids go through fazes they eat strange. My little brother went through a faze he ate only plain noodles then only plain rice then only meat then only pizza he is 18 now and eats everything my mom was worried about him and took him to the pedi he said offer other options but if he only wanted the rice or pasta give it to him and eventually he would want something else but forcing him to eat something he doesnt want would lead to eating issues. My DH is VERY VERY picky I asked him why when we first got together and he said when he was little his mom and grandma made him eat stuff he didnt like or he would get a spanking and nothing else to eat He said he always took the spanking cuz he wasnt gonna eat something he didnt like and now he eats froot loops and candy instead of veggies and real food. I know its frustrating but try to offer her thing she does eat and new thing like fruit or veggies raw and see if she will try them but dont force it and I would NEVER let my kid go to bed hungry even if that mean just drinking a glass of milk before bed I would give her something. And if she is put to bed hungry your the one that will suffer cuz she isnt gonna sleep good and you will have to deal with that :/ good luck hope it gets better

LadyBugMom09
by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Thanks for your advice. I did breast feed her for 14 months, so her lack of variety surprises me. It's a hard topic for me cuz she tends to only want "bad" foods. This morning she asked me for chips but I told her no. I offered her several other things and she finally ate an apple and some vitamin juice that I bought because I was concerned she wasn't getting enough vitamins and she did NOT like pediasure.

Quoting blg5484:

this is on reason im glad  i still BF DD ( she is only 2 tho) kids go through fazes they eat strange. My little brother went through a faze he ate only plain noodles then only plain rice then only meat then only pizza he is 18 now and eats everything my mom was worried about him and took him to the pedi he said offer other options but if he only wanted the rice or pasta give it to him and eventually he would want something else but forcing him to eat something he doesnt want would lead to eating issues. My DH is VERY VERY picky I asked him why when we first got together and he said when he was little his mom and grandma made him eat stuff he didnt like or he would get a spanking and nothing else to eat He said he always took the spanking cuz he wasnt gonna eat something he didnt like and now he eats froot loops and candy instead of veggies and real food. I know its frustrating but try to offer her thing she does eat and new thing like fruit or veggies raw and see if she will try them but dont force it and I would NEVER let my kid go to bed hungry even if that mean just drinking a glass of milk before bed I would give her something. And if she is put to bed hungry your the one that will suffer cuz she isnt gonna sleep good and you will have to deal with that :/ good luck hope it gets better

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)