Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think should have happened to Jessica Barba?

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:25 AM
  • 6 Replies

Teenager's Anti-Bullying Project Gets Her Suspended From School

Posted by Jeanne Sager on May 24, 2012 

anti-bullying videoAttention America. Our schools are under attack. Everywhere you look, there are kids who are trying to fight the scourge of bullying. Wait, what? I have that one backward? The bullies are the problem?

Huh. Then can someone please explain to me why a 15-year-old girl on Long Island just got suspended for creating a video to fight bullying in her school? I would think Jessica Barba would be getting her back slapped by school administrators and her face on a Wheaties box.

But nope, the school decided Jessica's video was a problem because it "created a disturbance." Oh no, not a disturbance!

Imagine! Kids in a school talking about why bullying is such a bad thing. Shock. Horror. Awe!

Are you getting the sarcasm here? Because if you're not, you're probably as dense as the people who got Barba suspended in the first place.

The video, which was posted to YouTube with a disclaimer that reads "This is a fiction (sic) story," also begins with a similar warning that the story is fake, meant to address bullying. That, and the fact that the video shows moments that were quite obviously scripted, makes it particularly hard to imagine what kind of idiot actually called the police because they thought a child had killed herself. The calls could have prompted the school administrators to roll their eyes at the stupidity of their town's residents and engage their students in a discussion about bullying.

I see this kind of thinking over and over and over again. School administrators ignore common sense, ignore what kids have to say, and just push ahead with their own agenda. They decided Barba was a problem, so they treated her like one. End of story.

No wonder we have rampant bullying in schools. Administrators are the ultimate bullies! If they actually listened to kids and allowed them to spark a conversation, perhaps kids would be more willing to speak up, to fight the good fight.

By the way ... Barba told NBC New York she made it specifically for a communications class, to fulfill a requirement that students create a persuasive promo or advertisement. I guess she succeeded, huh? Check out her video:

What do you think should have happened to Jessica Barba?

by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TerriC
by on May. 25, 2012 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the school administrators are ridiculous.  I think the people that turned her in are ridiculous.  She is trying to raise awareness, she did a class project and SHE gets punished for it?  The administrators really ARE the ultimate bullies.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 25, 2012 at 7:55 AM

agree!

Quoting TerriC:

I think the school administrators are ridiculous.  I think the people that turned her in are ridiculous.  She is trying to raise awareness, she did a class project and SHE gets punished for it?  The administrators really ARE the ultimate bullies.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on May. 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  Bullying is such a horrible part of our culture.  And in many cases, teachers or administrators are part of the problem, sometimes even bullies themselves.  I think she should be lauded, not lectured and suspended!

mamakin616
by on May. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

If she were my daughter I would demand that  she be allowed back in school ,and I would file complaints with the school board for Bullying her.. That is exactly what they did. She should have got an A for making this video for her communications class...she certainly made her point,and that was what she was told to do.

PrincessZ20
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I agree with the others - they're basically saying that you shouldn't speak out against it or you'll be punished.  Definitely the opposite of the message they should be trying to send.

new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Quoting mamakin616:

If she were my daughter I would demand that  she be allowed back in school ,and I would file complaints with the school board for Bullying her.. That is exactly what they did. She should have got an A for making this video for her communications class...she certainly made her point,and that was what she was told to do.

If she was my child there's not a chance I'd even LET her back in that school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)