Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Worst Vacation Moment!

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • 59 Replies

As many of you know we just went on a family vacation.  We got in late last night/this morning.  Everything went well-other then the usually vacation mishaps but one thing topped the list of any problem we've had on a vacation ever before.

Have you ever been to Seaworld in Florida?  Well, they have this kids play area that had tubes and rope climbs about two stories up into the air-yes, for kids!  Its quite a view.  Its all enclosed but still kinda scary and meant for just the kids. 

So my 9yo and 4yo head up the steps to try to climb and I start up with my 2yo because my husband doesn't want to try squeezing into the tubes.  No problems.  We get to the first landing and my 9yo looks down and says NO WAY!  LoL  He doesn't like heights so he wants to head down and my 4yo follows him.  My 2yo wants to check out the tubes so we hang out there a bit then he is satisfied and we head out and down.  No big deal, right?

Then I get to the bottom and realize my husband, MIL and FIL all moved from the entrance and I find my husband to see he ONLY has our 9yo!  I start FREAKING out.  We split up and start searching for my 4yo.  A woman sees me frantically searching and says are you looking for a little boy?  And she describes him and I almost scream YES, WHERE IS HE??!  She takes me down and around the corner-the direction that we had walked to get to the play area and he was surrounded by adults and a security guard trying to ask him what we look like and where were we, etc.

I all but run to him and started sobbing.  I felt like the worst mother in the world and he was crying and telling me I lost him and how could I do that to him?!  It was so scary.  I have never felt so terrified in my life!  It was truly awful.

The rest of the week my son had to keep reminding me about the incident by saying don't lose me, or I'm glad you found me, or I don't want to get lost again!

So I guess lesson learned to stick together?  What an experience!

Whats the worst thing that has happened to you on a vacation?  With or without kids?

by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I know I posted this before but when we left the rainfly off our tent and it POURED and our stuff was a soaked mess till we got back to it.  To add to that we had been at the beach and had left the sunroof open in the car, too.  So not only was our stuff soaked but so was our transportation!

KyliesMom5
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM

My family has a house in Ebony, Virginia, near lake Gaston. the house was built in the 20's on a mud and rock foundation so several years ago, we had to have the foundation redone.  My daughter was 5 years old, at the time and my now ex-husband, myself, daughter and my uncle were down there working on the house and playing.

There were a bunch of tools in the living room in tool boxs. Well, one day while My ex-husband and uncle were working on the back porch, my daughter and I were in the back bedroom getting ready to go down to the lake. I asked Kylie to go into the kitchen and clean up her game before we left.  Kylie left the room but came back a few minutes later. Her leg was bleeding badly. I rushed her into the bathroom and had her hold a towel over the wound. I then rushed out to get my husband who told me I was as white as a ghost.  We rushed to the hospital where Kylie had to have 5 staples. She had cut her shin down to the bone. I have never been so terrified in my life!

Apparently, my daughter had stepped over one of the tool boxes that had a hand saw in it. The blade had been blade down in the box but had flipped out when she hit it. That is at least the story she told us. The house is kind of in a U shape so I should have heard her cry out or something but I had no clue anything had happened until she came back to the bedroom.  When she had gotten cut she went into the kitchen but changed her mind and came back to me. We were able to tell by the trail of blood she left.  

Vertical15
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Wow!  Thats scary and she didn't even cry out? 

Quoting KyliesMom5:

My family has a house in Ebony, Virginia, near lake Gaston. the house was built in the 20's on a mud and rock foundation so several years ago, we had to have the foundation redone.  My daughter was 5 years old, at the time and my now ex-husband, myself, daughter and my uncle were down there working on the house and playing.

There were a bunch of tools in the living room in tool boxs. Well, one day while My ex-husband and uncle were working on the back porch, my daughter and I were in the back bedroom getting ready to go down to the lake. I asked Kylie to go into the kitchen and clean up her game before we left.  Kylie left the room but came back a few minutes later. Her leg was bleeding badly. I rushed her into the bathroom and had her hold a towel over the wound. I then rushed out to get my husband who told me I was as white as a ghost.  We rushed to the hospital where Kylie had to have 5 staples. She had cut her shin down to the bone. I have never been so terrified in my life!

Apparently, my daughter had stepped over one of the tool boxes that had a hand saw in it. The blade had been blade down in the box but had flipped out when she hit it. That is at least the story she told us. The house is kind of in a U shape so I should have heard her cry out or something but I had no clue anything had happened until she came back to the bedroom.  When she had gotten cut she went into the kitchen but changed her mind and came back to me. We were able to tell by the trail of blood she left.  

KyliesMom5
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM

No, at least not that I heard. I think I would have heard something though because the living room is so close to the bedroom I was in. 

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Vertical15
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

She must have a high pain tolerence!  I"m glad everything was ok, though.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

No, at least not that I heard. I think I would have heard something though because the living room is so close to the bedroom I was in. 

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting KyliesMom5:

bamababe1975
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Everyone got the flu while we were staying with family. EVERYONE. And there was only 1 bathroom.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Ah I'm so sorry! How scary, poor guy and mommy. But you're not a bad mom by any means, accidents happen and kids, boy they are just everywhere all the time, lol! *Hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Oh man Vanessa, that's scary!! I'm glad everyone got home safe, and had a good time!

TonyaLea
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:19 AM

How scary!!!!!

A couple summers ago, while we were on a road trip from FL to WA (we were currently in AZ at the Grand Canyon) we got a call from our neighbor that had been keeping an eye out on our house for us.  She said that our house had been broken into during the night.  She had called the Sheriff for us.  The Sheriff called us when he got there and they checked out the house...it was ransacked, everything valuable gone.  Another neighbor boarded up the window, and we still were 4 days from when we planned to be home.  We figured we might as well try to enjoy the rest of our vacation because everything was already gone, nothing we could do about it after the fact. :/  We now have an alarm, LOL.

TerriC
by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Oh no!!!

Quoting Vertical15:

I know I posted this before but when we left the rainfly off our tent and it POURED and our stuff was a soaked mess till we got back to it.  To add to that we had been at the beach and had left the sunroof open in the car, too.  So not only was our stuff soaked but so was our transportation!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN