Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Summer reading

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:52 AM
  • 19 Replies
Does your local library have a summer reading program?

Do your kids participate?
What are some of their favorite books?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_2_be_2010
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 6:53 AM
Yes no(shes only 2)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jun. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Our local library kicked off the summer reading program last Wednesday.  This year's theme is "Dream Big:  Read".  My kids came home and immediately began reading to see who could fill up their cards the fastest!  My challenge is to keep the enthusiasm up all summer long, since the program only lasts about a week for them!  

I have Junie B. Jones fans, some Barbie readers, lots of Robert Munsch, Thirty Nine Clues, 365 Conspiracy Series, Chuck Black, John Flanagan..the list goes on and on :).  What kind of books do your boys like?  

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Our library reading program starts next week.  So I'm not sure what the theme is.   Tanner likes Diary of a wimpy kid.   Brett reads Harry Potter, James Patterson Witch and Wizard series, Percy Jackson,

Quoting TigerofMu:

Our local library kicked off the summer reading program last Wednesday.  This year's theme is "Dream Big:  Read".  My kids came home and immediately began reading to see who could fill up their cards the fastest!  My challenge is to keep the enthusiasm up all summer long, since the program only lasts about a week for them!  

I have Junie B. Jones fans, some Barbie readers, lots of Robert Munsch, Thirty Nine Clues, 365 Conspiracy Series, Chuck Black, John Flanagan..the list goes on and on :).  What kind of books do your boys like?  

Vertical15
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

We have a few libraries close by and most of them have some sort of program but we have never done the programs.  My kids love to read.  My oldest reads every night before bed and my other 'read' all through the day.

TerriC
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Sadly, we do not go near our library.  Jon has "forbidden" it.  It is in a very bad part of town.  The girls buy books a lot.  They love the Bad Kitty series right now.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my 10 year old likes Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and I just don't understand what she sees in them! ;)  I don't know what else compares with those.  Harry Potter fans might also like Artemis Fowl.  Rick Riordan has written two other series since Percy Jackson, a spinoff called Heroes of Olympus, that has Percy and his friends, as well as some new friends  (the Roman Camp), and The Kane Chronicles, which is based on Egyptian Mythology.  Also, if he hasn't read John Flanagan, the Ranger's Apprentice Series starts out with the Ruins of Gorlan, and gets better and better as you go.  He's written a new spinoff from it called Brotherband as well.  The first two books in that are called The Outsiders and The Invaders.   I love the 39 Clues series.  The first book, Maze of Bones, is written by Rick Riordan. 

Tanner might like the new Consipracy 365 Series.   They might both, actually.  

Quoting batjmom:

Our library reading program starts next week.  So I'm not sure what the theme is.   Tanner likes Diary of a wimpy kid.   Brett reads Harry Potter, James Patterson Witch and Wizard series, Percy Jackson,

Quoting TigerofMu:

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Wow thanks.
The second Percy Jackson series I think he started and didnt care for but the other he was trying to get for his kindle.
I'm going to check the other out for Tannner. Schools out Friday and Monday we plan on going to the library to sign up

Quoting TigerofMu:

Oh my 10 year old likes Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and I just don't understand what she sees in them! ;)  I don't know what else compares with those.  Harry Potter fans might also like Artemis Fowl.  Rick Riordan has written two other series since Percy Jackson, a spinoff called Heroes of Olympus, that has Percy and his friends, as well as some new friends  (the Roman Camp), and The Kane Chronicles, which is based on Egyptian Mythology.  Also, if he hasn't read John Flanagan, the Ranger's Apprentice Series starts out with the Ruins of Gorlan, and gets better and better as you go.  He's written a new spinoff from it called Brotherband as well.  The first two books in that are called The Outsiders and The Invaders.   I love the 39 Clues series.  The first book, Maze of Bones, is written by Rick Riordan. 

Tanner might like the new Consipracy 365 Series.   They might both, actually.  

Quoting batjmom:

Quoting TigerofMu:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I think they do, but neither of my kids is reading on his own yet :) 

They both love being read to, though!

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
That is soooooo sad!
We are at ours a lot but I completely understand not going because of the safety. I wouldn't go either

Quoting TerriC:

Sadly, we do not go near our library.  Jon has "forbidden" it.  It is in a very bad part of town.  The girls buy books a lot.  They love the Bad Kitty series right now.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SP_Mama
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Ours does and this will be our 4th yr. participating.  Last year, my son won 2nd place in his age division (he was 4) with 450 books read.  Both libraries we are participating in start their program today so we'll be visiting one library today to pick up logs and books and the 2nd one tomorrow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN