Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Extreme eczema... Help!

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM
  • 32 Replies
My 4 year old son has had eczema since he was a baby and we prefer using non steroid creams and aveeno moisturizer and oatmeal baths,and , but my son is scratching the skin off of his legs and feet andwe're both miserable from it.... Does anyone have any natural remedies????
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I wish I could help.  I hope someone in here can help out!  =)

Vertical15
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Coconut Oil!  Unrefined.  It works wonders!  I use to for so many things (along with cooking)  Its very soothing and smells great (if you like coconut!)

karamille
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Has he had allergy testing?  I would highly recommend it.  I would also remove foods from his diet that are known triggers for ezcema and see if his skin clears.  If it does, slowly add one back in at a time until you find his trigger.  We also do bleach baths 1x a week (1/3 cup to a tub full of warm water - its about the same level of chlorine as a swimming pool) thru fall, winter, and spring.  During the summer our pool takes over.  :) Most people with excema have too high of bacteria load on their skin.  By keeping that bacteria level down, it keeps the eczema under control

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

happy2bmom25
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

have you tried eliminating dairy from his diet? do you give him a probiotic? do you allow him to get some sun (do not use sunscreen) 

if it is not dietary then i would try vinegar for fabric softner, and something free of dyes and perfumes for detergent.

look at the ingredients of anything that you put on his skin. single ingredient lotions, creams and oils are best. coconut oil is great! we have used shea butter, grape seed oil and almond oil as well.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jun. 8, 2012 at 6:41 AM

I have heard coconut oil.  I know we use lavender on mosquito bites and burns to stop the itch.

MELRN
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM

the problem you are having is because eczema is from histamine release and so unless you suppress the immune response most remedies compound the problem underneath.... try using LOCAL (that is local to you) honey  1 teaspoon in the am one teaspoon before bed...  this will ward off excessive outbreaks......  if your already at a point where its really bad you should use the steroid cream with an antihistamine for 4 days (yes you can still use the honey)  and then continue the honey daily...

one last thought when you have eczema very bad it handicaps your childs ability to sweat correctly for body thermoregulation... so if it is  VERY HOT (over 85 degrees) and the skin is mostly covered with eczema you need to get medical attention to prevent heat exhaustion or heat stroke to your son... believe me I am not a fan of padding pharmaceutical pockets either and I will always use natural remedies over other  but you need to do so cautiously and know what the consequences can be if treatment the natural way is not working....

Momforhealth
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I have customers who have and I have had tremendous relief changing where they shop. Its the best remedy I have.   

nikki4eva88
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Goat milk worked really well for my brother. He also has limited quantities (or none at all) of foods high in acidic content, such as tomato and tomato products, curry, fried foods and things like that.

A few weeks ago my brother (15 yrs) had a horrible outbreak, his skin was becoming cracked and in some areas pus seeped out. My mother cut fresh aloe and had him rub it on before bed every night. He also uses the Aveeno moisture cream in the jar throughout the day. I don't know where you live, but she also took him to the beach and had him soak in the water for at least an hour. If you want anymore help feel free to pm me and I'll ask my mother what else he did. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TxMelaMom
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM
My daughter as well as 2 of my friends kids have eczema and we use a amazing all natural green product line called Renew !!!! I have seen it work MIRACLES for kids and adults with eczema and dry skin !!
robyn67
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I have joined  a company that has the best product for eczema.  I would love to send you some information about it.  The best thing to do is send me an email and then I can email you back.   Write to me at    robynharry@comcast.net

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)