Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your kids wear braces?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

Rule of 5s helps kids with braces

Many kids are taught from a young age to fear the word cavities, and kids with braces often receive extra warnings as their teeth are significantly more difficult to take care of.

To help kids with braces stay cavity-free, a Robert Chavez and his son Andrew Chase have created an easy-to-follow cleaning formula titled the Rule of 5s:

• There are 5 places to brush: (1) where the teeth meet the gum lines, in toward the gums; (2) under the wire; (3) on top of the wire; (4) on top of the tooth,: (5) in back of the tooth.
  • There are 5 times during the day to brush: after breakfast, after lunch or after school, after dinner, after snacks, and before bed.
  • 5 minutes of additional time should be spent at the end of the day flossing and using fluoride rinse.

For more information about the Rule of Fives visit: http://www.archorthodontics.com/life-with-braces.php

Do your children wear braces?  Think they are in their future?

Did you wear them?

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I never had them but I could have used them.  I have a few gaps in my teeth that I'm super self conscious about.  My husband had braces so I guess the kids will need them?

Its hard to tell if my kids will need them.  We joke that my 9yo has Sponge Bob teeth, his front teeth just kind of look like chiklets LOL  He will probably need them.

TerriC
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM
I had braces for 4 years. 9th-12th. My teeth weren't even that bad. I think braces have come a long way. Both of my girls will need them. At 8 and 7 they have already been referred to an orthodontist. I hope with how far braces have come, they won't have to have them as long as I did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Wow, 8 and 7 and already?  My 9yo doesn't even have all his adult teeth yet.

Quoting TerriC:

I had braces for 4 years. 9th-12th. My teeth weren't even that bad. I think braces have come a long way. Both of my girls will need them. At 8 and 7 they have already been referred to an orthodontist. I hope with how far braces have come, they won't have to have them as long as I did.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I had braces, but that was a long time ago!  Our 11 year old has braces, and I know the dentist and I are both already on her to brush her teeth all the time.  Her breath is terrible!  I just read this post to her and hopefully it will help remind her and know that someone empathizes!

TerriC
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM

They said they need an evaluation and may need "preliminary" braces.  To me, that is just more money that doesn't need to be spent.  My neighbor got them when she was 8, got them off at 9, she is 11 now and has them on again.  Such a racket!

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting TerriC:

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Yea, that seems a bit much to me.

Quoting TerriC:

They said they need an evaluation and may need "preliminary" braces.  To me, that is just more money that doesn't need to be spent.  My neighbor got them when she was 8, got them off at 9, she is 11 now and has them on again.  Such a racket!

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting TerriC:

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM
I didnt and my boys have not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)